Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First "Contracts", now "No Complaint Orders"

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Pain Management
So, how far do we let this go? All the protection for the doctors and NONE for us!!

First, they wanted us to sign over our privacy rights to be thier "test dummy" whenever they chose and now we are not allowed to report to any media outlet if we recieve bad treatment, etc.

If your doctor adopts this policy, you either sign it or have to find another doctor. What if ALL doctors adopt this?

The doctors agrue that it is unfair to them when patients reveal experiences that are negative.

So, where does this end? WE allowed them to make us sign the contracts in the first place, have we opened a Pandora's box? What's next??!!

What are your thoughts about this?

Sincerely - Camille

• I don't know what you're talking about, please explain to me! I know about pain management contracts, but what is a No Complaint Order? I am new to the pain med contract business, but haven't heard of the other. What exactly is it?

• It is basically just a form that states that by using the doctor's services you agree to forego any type of reporting to any media branch or outlet.

There are lots of "rate-a-doctor" type websites and blogs. Plus, you can't report to a newspaper or television news station if they have a *rant* or *consumer investigation* department, etc.

This is for ANY doctor.

• I have had no problem with my doctor,i have signed a pain contract,the contract your talking about just says you cant post anything online or talk about a doctor, on this site you can see we never discuss doctors names,or talk about them,i wouldnt have a problem signing a contract,that is a gag order.....
  • I thought the US Constitution guaranteed freedom of speech!

I am not a US citizen but have had Gag contracts put on me for trade secrets etc but would think this is going a bit far! I would think the media would run a campaign against this type of contract to protect their rights. Is there a Government Consumer Affairs type body that protects consumer rights and are they aware and doing something about it? Certainly most consumer affairs legislation in many parts of the world stipulates that the manufacturer or service provider cannot impose conditions that override the consumer protection legislation it the consumer rights. Are you allowed to complain to anyone including government bodies that monitor health services?

Certainly I believe if legal action is taken then that becomes public record (which is why things often settled with a Gag Clause although I do know an International Court Judge and his idealist daughter refused to settle a claim with a gag order to ensure a problem in Employment Law made public)!

This sounds like yet another strategy that wears the consumer down so they cannot fight as first have to get past a questionable Gag Contract (more money for Lawyers and believe I read that 40% of the US medical costs are spent in Legal and Administration costs)!

Just a comment on the unfairness of reporting is that should a doctor only take on the most challenging cases, we would expect them to have a low success rating and therefore taken to the extreme the rating sites may eventually mean serious cases (many spineys), would be excluded from treatment in an effort to protect a doctors rating. It is a difficult issue!

In terms of the Pain Management Contract from what I read on this site one issue is the counting and dispensing of drugs and becomes your responsibility if lost or stolen. I have no problems in Europe (from my experience Narcotics are no different to any other drug) and the comments like that seem to have warped the system in that Crime Prevention has taken precedence over the focus on health (and doubt it would help much with crime prevention). The rest seems to be more of a partnership to get you health again (but could be abused by the PM administrators).

I am not in the medical, media or legal position so take the comment as a basic observation for discussion.

Kind Regards
  • Call me crazy, but the media is the LAST group of people I would turn to when it comes to reporting negative experiences with a doctor. As a whole, the media is the only group I can think of that's more screwed up than doctors and lawyers. :loll:

Oh, and details -

Washington Post story on "No Complaint" contracts

• These type of things are about as enforceable as the signs Garages put up saying they are not responsible for damage or theft. They are for the most part unenforceable. Simply a tactic to get the uninformed to think they are not allowed to do something.

Unless you engage in outright slander there is little that a doctor can do if you say his office is sometimes slow and his "insert item" smells bad!

Let's hope this doctor is worth all the "paperwork"
    You can fight it out, or simply sign the paper and not worry about it. Since they won't treat you unless you sign it is a form of coohersion ( I guess I don't know how to spell it). Not enforceable at all.