Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Results Viewing Software

Terry01TTerry01 Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Water Cooler
I just picked up a CD with my MRI results. There are lots of pictures and is labeled “DICOM Volume with GE Centricty Viewer”.

I cannot see what I was shown when at the hospital and they seemed to be able to move the mouse around the body (and show the disk against the nerve). Would I have been given the full volume of images? My guess is that I have and they are simply using more advanced software (combining all photos and believe there is a professional version of software) so they could show the problem better? Any technical people out there that can confirm I have the complete results?

• Believe I can assume the hospital used some advanced DICOM viewing software. The disk does have an autorun.exe which starts the basic DICOM software. I can see lots of pictures in sets which can be run like a slideshow (Up and Down OR around the body) but not as saw in hospital.

I just wanted to be confident I had everything before leaving the country and now am as confident as much as I could be.

Thanks and kind regards
  • The DICOM Viewer loaded on most CDs is an old version. I believe that is partly on the hospital. I had MRI done at 2 different hospitals. Also had CT Scan done at 2 different hospitals. 2 of the CDs I got in 2007 have a Dicom Viewer dated from 2005. I CD with a CT Scan from 2008 has a Dicom Viewer from 2007.

Now here is the cool one. I got an MRI done in late 2008. It does not have Dicom per say. It has the RSVS System. Instead of just pulling images into Dicom Viewer. It manages Case Studies. It lets you view libraries of images. You can manipulate, rotate, etc... It does a lot. Haven't quite figured it all out. The Neurosurgeon I saw last actually sat down with me and showed me how to use the software. He had a slow day and was bored. We spent an hour alone just playing with the software.
  • There was some discussion in Chat about making screensavers with our MRI studies. Or just getting the images in a format you can use. To email your friends, photochop, or whatever to amuse yourself.

First you need to download the dicom viewer / converter. It's free.

Just follow the instructions and download the file dicomworks_135b.exe. Then double click it and install it.

After that click the DicomWorks icon and start the program.

Click the DICOM Directory Button and point to the device (CD) or directory your study is on. Example I copied my CD to my hard drive in a directory. say like MRI_02Oct09. So i chose that. You can just read right from the CD.

Now click the study name in the Patient Name panel. It should be you name.

Now click on the Export Button.

Leave this;
    Source: Selected Patient Images
    File Format: (change this to JPEG or BMP)
    Destination: C:\ScreenSaver

I chose that Destination because I can then use the images for my screen saver on my computer. You can pick any folder. For File Format:. JPEG and BMP are easiest to deal with in most applications.

Now Click Next

On the Next screen click all the boxes except the one that says "Compress all files in a single ZIP archive".

Click Save.

Now it will convert all the images from Dicom format to Jpeg or whatever you chose.

With your favorite picture viewer you can view C:\ScreenSaver and see all your images.

Fun, fun...

• SWEET!!

I can't wait to go try this! I've got my CD's but have never been able to access them - THANKS FOR THIS HOW-TO post!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    and it all looks fine with the software that comes with the CD... Now, If I know what the heck I was really looking for!!!!

As Paul said, the version of software we get as patients is different from the doctors. I took one of my MRI CD's to my doctor friend and when he brought it up, there were many more options, one being to select which patient he was going to look at...
    But it seemed to me, once inside the images, it looked the same.
    Well, to me, an untrained eye they looked the same, to someone with skills, they might have looked differently
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • dilauro said:
    and it all looks fine with the software that comes with the CD... Now, If I know what the heck I was really looking for!!!!

As Paul said, the version of software we get as patients is different from the doctors. I took one of my MRI CD's to my doctor friend and when he brought it up, there were many more options, one being to select which patient he was going to look at...
    But it seemed to me, once inside the images, it looked the same.
    Well, to me, an untrained eye they looked the same, to someone with skills, they might have looked differently
    Howdy Ron!

From what my NS told me, there are like 3 different softwares out there, and many of the offices "purchase" the full rights. My NS also stated that except for edit options and such, most of what *we* see, is what they see! I have Adobe Pro, so I can extract into a separate file and play with the images and such. Just a wee bit more flexibility is what they get - as patients, we really aren't limited on *most* software that much.

I have found however, on some software, if you copy it to your puter...it will limit how many times you view it if you don't "pay and register", yet on the CD, no such limitation! Weird huh?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    I have copied my MRI images about a dozen times...
    But, this is what I do.
    I first copy my original MRI CD to my harddrive. Then from my harddrive I make all my copies.
    I have a folder (DIAGS) that list all my MRI and X-rays dating back way too many years. I think my first image was before there were even computers.
    But it is good to know that we can keep and preserve our diagnostic tests.
    I keep the originals in my Safe along with the reports.
    All other copies and details I keep in my shelves.
    I would just wish there was a way to copy/scan the large MRI films onto a CD.
  • Hi Ron!!

Actually you can put those puppies on a CD!!! I have a directory I just call "images", and them in it I export the images or "studies" into it. I then make a sub folder to which I date it, or title it "pre op C5/6, post op C6/7, X-ray" etc, and then you can copy them to the CD. Once you export them, they are now (most software can do this) in the jpg or bmp, pdf or tif....whatever you wish them to be in. I have all of mine copied over such that I don't need the viewing software!!! Hope that helps. :-)

Oh, footnote... you can copy the whole report with the viewer to your CD as well, but you can only put like 4 of them on the CD....

(partial computer geek!)
    I have three passions in life (not including the love I have for my family and wife)

1 - Computers - Anything about them
    2 - Spinal problems - I guess dealing with tem for over 30 years I have some insight
    3 - Wines - Before I worked with IBM for 35 years, I was a wine salesmen. Still during that time, I ran wine tastings, organized wine dinners and right now I am working parttime at a wine shop. Wine is in my blood
  • Computers and Math are hard. I don't like them but I've worked on them for a "few" years... I just like surfing the web :-) That said...

The Dicom Viewer that is freely distributable. The one I listed above. For most people that is sufficient. It lets you read the images and convert them to traditional graphics formats like jpeg etc. Not too hard to see herniations or DDD if you have a clue. Seeing more takes some training. There are a couple of colleges medical departments that have some good docs on this online. I would have to dig up the links to them.

The version on the CD from the hospital radiology dept. That let's you view your studies. Since they burn each CD with just that visit. There is 1 Patient Study. You could merge all your studies if you like. You would need to copy the CD to a folder on your hard drive. That would be the base folder where you run the Dicom from. If you look at the sub folders. under /DAT. You find /PAT1. That is Patient 1. So from the first CD leave it alone. Now create more of these sub folders as /PAT2, /PAT3, and so on. Go get your 2nd CD. Load it and copy the contents of its /PAT1 to your new /PAT2 on your hard drive. Then get 3rd CD and copy its /PAT1 contents to /PAT3 on your hard drive. Keep on doing this ad nauseum...

Now you have 1 copy of the Dicom software and all your studies. Saves a lot of disk space. You can burn that top level folder to a CD and hold way more than 4 studies. I've got 8 or 9 of them on 1 CD. I have a copy on my USB memory stick that travels with me all the time. So I can read them anywhere there is a computer.

There is also another piece of software that comes from RADinfo Systems. They make the cool stuff. It's not free. They have 1 product called RSVS Viewer. It's like Dicom Viewer only to the next level. It reads all Dicom CDs and more. I've used it. It let's you use multiple monitors and attempts to give you 3D type rendering. Tres' cool....

My ortho had this and would just import my CD patient study into his computer. Then give me my CD back. The 1st neuro I visited used the Dicom on the CD. He wasn't very computer savvy. But he could manipulate the images with the tools in the software and show you exactly what he didn't like. That is sufficient for a patient. My current neuro who just did my fusion. He is old school. He wants the images from the hospital. You bring them to him. He could care less about their report or CD. He told me not to bother waiting for either. He makes his own analysis and reports.

I always get the hospital to make me CDs. For MRI, CAT, or XRAY. Having all past images shows the progression. Most doctors don't seem to care. Since they only fix the current problem. As patients we need the history so any questions about the past can be answered.

• Hehehe... I hear that Ron!

I had a "community big sister" in the sixties that was a systems analyst, and she taught me basic code and making little programs (huge back then...16-25k!). A hard drive of course was external and filled a room! I use to build my own computers since they didn't have much in them from the stores - late 80's early 90's. Now they have pretty much everything I want or need, so don't dig into them much if any anymore.

Ran a WWIV board years ago. Once you registered the software, they sent you the source code. (C++). I had NO clue what C++ was, so got a compiler and started fiddling with it. After I while I was modifying the source code and along with my learning curves of "hair pulling", I had a wonderfully modded board. :-)

Spine issues...hummm...I will say much more in the last number of years than ever. Knowledge is power, and I have found that unless I want to receive "Greek" language from my doctor, have to become my own expert. From what I see anymore (some pretty cold treatments post op from surgeons) I lucked out with my research, and have a wonderful NS. I also understand what he is telling me, and too have some basics (enough to get into trouble??) to know what is right and wrong with my diagnostic tests. Hearing what others go through for me is fascinating, and knowing I am looking at more spiney issues on the surgery side (mid and lower back - not counting my fussy neck!), I see what options are out there via "real" people. That is good!!!

Wine, hummmm.. I like wine! My hubby and I have gone to several tastings, and they were good. I love beer though! But ummm errr..it adds to the ummmm errrr... well you know! I have gotten more into wine in my later years though. :-) Eyes closed, Ron, my poor little tongue couldn't tell a $2.00 vs a $2,000.00 glass of wine if my life depended on it!!! Hehehe...

Other love, Hybrid cats! Have 3 of em, they are my babies! High maintenance as most are 50% or more wild but love em!!!

• This information was so helpful, I must have 6-8 MRI's I can't wait to view :-)
    Considering I'm a graphic arts & animation graduate, I should have known it was a free download. Just always figured being medical, it would have been an expensive proposition.

• lembrayllembray Posts: 6
    edited 07/18/2014 - 7:28 AM
    Are there viewers out there that are scams?

July 12, 2014

A recent experience:

I had a recent MRI (4/16/2014) of the cervical spine at the Denver, CO VA for evaluation of basilar vertebral insufficiency diagnosed in 1994 from an old whiplash injury. The MRI was read as showing no critical defects in the cervical spine, but was read as showing vertebrae fusion and other aberrations in disk space in an urgent reading by the Denver VA staff radiologist. 1 month later I had a TIA that was more severe (lasting more than 3 hours) than several very minor ones (lasting only a few minutes) I had had that led to my request for evaluation while waiting for an appointment with a neurologist.

Because of the severely rural area I live in the Hot Springs SD VA was not able to get me an appointment with what was supposed to be a neurologist at (EDITED OUT) until 7/2/2014, and then the appointment turned out to be a nurse practitioner. Although I had received a CD of the MRI I hadn't looked at it until 7/16/2014. On 7/2/2014 the nurse practitioner at the EDIT attempted to take my history but insisted what I was telling her was erroneous because the MRI didn't show it. She took me to her office and showed me a screen with a left lateral view of a complete spine. It did not show the missing cervical disks or missing sacral disks, or narrowed and widened disk spaces I had had pointed out to me by neurologists on MRIs, CT scans, and X-rays since 2003 advances in my 1991 diagnosed spinal disk disease. When she continued to insist that the MRI on the screen that showed an almost completely normal spine was mine and was valid and that I wasn't telling her the truth I walked out on her.

When I looked at the CD on 7/16/2014 I noticed that the views presented were only of the cervical spine not the complete spine shown by the nurse practitioner that clearly had my name and the correct date and time of the MRI on the view she showed me. The views did not show the detail I had seen in previous MRIs or on the nurse practitioner's left lateral view of the complete spine, but were consistent, in my unqualified to read opinion, with the prior MRIs and the defects that had been pointed out to me by neurologists.

The nurse practitioner's rush to get my history and get me out the door now leads me to wonder if the Nebraska facility I was sent to by the VA had a bonus system for numbers seen and quickness of seeing new patients. Perhaps a large medical corporation's method of jacking up the profits by having nurse practitioners see patients and then billing them as MD visits instead of the VAs effort to reduce costs and increase bonuses. With the presented view of my cervical spine I would not have received an appointment with a neurologist. This makes me realize my support for AHCOs (Accountable Health Care Organizations) needs to be abridged to include adequate controls.

The lesser TIAs are continuing at a pace of one every couple of days. So given a history of a mini stroke in 1996 that subtly weakened my left arm for about 3 weeks I feel a danger of having another perhaps more severe stroke. I cannot say that there is a corrective spinal surgery that will prevent crimping of a blood vessel serving the right side of my brain and lessen the danger but at least I would like a competent neurologist to make that assessment instead of a nurse practitioner.

Since the CD viewer wasn't used to view the MRI I presume the facility had its own software viewer which shows clear detailed images but, at least in my estimation, invalid ones because it apparently converts the digital data produced by the MRIs computer into its own sharper but invalid pictures. (nice to look at for a patients who haven't seen their valid MRIs and had defects pointed out but if one is invalid more very probably are) How did it present a complete spine when only a partial spine is shown by the CD's viewer?

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go to that EDIT clinic.

July 16, 2014

EDIT has begun a PR campaign. Apparently a cover up of their invalid MRI reading software. I believe this program is a PR campaign orchestrated by the attorney for EDIT as a cover up of the invalid MRI viewing software that EDIT has that has not doubt caused defective treatment resulting injury and even possibly death to some of their patients. I was a hospital corpsman in Vietnam. I don't believe in leaving patients behind and not treating them properly.

KNEB News Extra - July 16 2014 (7 photos)

When I called KNEB today, 7/16, I eventually spoke to Kevin, referred to as the “News Director”. The "News Director" apparently didn’t want to hear anything that detracted from his “news story” even if it resulted in the care of EDIT patients potentially causing additional injury or even death.

Post edited to remove name of specific facilities. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

Lem Bray
  • How is this situation to be corrected. I'm not interested in suing or seeing a class action suit against this FACILITY but I am VERY CONSERNED about the care the facility's patients are getting.
    Lem Bray
  • Sorry Liz. I didn't know you had edited until I got to the bottom of my own edit. I hope that I changed all of your EDITs back to EDIT to remove facility names except the positive VA references.
    Lem Bray
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 07/23/2014 - 5:45 AM
    When a moderator edits a post, please do not go back and alter the edits by the moderator.
    Doing so is against the forum rules and creates issues.
    Thanks for understanding.
    Spine Health Moderators