Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgical lumbar pain again

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had laminectomy and discectomy on L4/5 4+years ago. I went to Disneyland last weekend (rode the roller coaster)and carried luggage down a flight of stairs - and then sat in a car for a 8 hour drive. I have been in presurgical pain for the last 4 days. I have done this before but it always got better. I am a bit scared this time. Any suggestions or calming advise!

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

The first thing that came to my mind is that it's common years after a fusion for there to be pressure on the discs above and below the fusion, so maybe you've strained an area that there are additional discs problems.

I'm not a doctor, but this was my first thought. Do you have an appointment to get your back looked at?

• You didn't have a fusion...right? Regardless, many people reherniate at the same level where they had surgery previously.

I would suggest that you log a lot of floor time and use ice...20 minutes on, 20 minutes off and take it easy for several days. Take NSAIDS or an anti-inflammatory if you can.

Lie on the floor on your back, with your hips right up across the side of a couch or chair. Bend at the hips and place lower legs and feet on the seat of the couch (or chair. Put arms out flat by your sides, palms facing up and breathe slowly and deeply. This is a natural traction position that helps to unload the discs and allows the soft tissue to kind of relax and reconform.

Avoid any activity that involves bending, lifting, twisting and reaching, especially overhead. Hopefully you'll be able to get things to calm down one more time.
This discussion has been closed.