Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI and spinal stenosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Spinal Stenosis
My first post, I wish I had found this site much sooner..

I have an MRI that states - broad based disc and annular bulge, producing spinal stenosis, with both pinching and posterior displacement of the cord, however, no abnormalities of cord signal.

Does this mean, Iam NOT suppose to have any arm pain, every since the accident my right arm has ached constantly and it feels like its deep in my bones. Where it states no abnormalities of cord signal, makes me think they say nothing wrong?

Thanks for any input

• i'll take a stab at this one...and your dr. will tell you the professional answer.
    i dont believe signal means spinal cord signal' i think it means the magnetic signal that different tissues send back to the mri under a magnetic field. so a normal signal would mean the tissue is normal. as we know normal spinal tissue can send intense pain info to the brain. so i dont think signal refers to pain.
    i'm really out in left field on this one. hopefully an mri engineer will set us straight...
    the fact that you have stenosis and disc bulge may be the reason for your pain....
    hope they have solution and good luck

• Pete,

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I was not losing my mind. ~X( Iam just trying to understand it all...
  • The narrowing of the central canal(stenosis) is enough to compress the nerve/s and cause pain. The disc bulge is taking up space that would otherwise be comfortably occupied by the nerve. Are you have problems with a cervical disc?