Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My experience AFTER my micro-lamicectomy,and herniated disk removal.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello guys, i am New to this site i happen to stumble across after reaserching some advice. And this is my story.

I had my first lower back surgery at a very early stage of my life. I believe I have overcome that obstacule of making it out of surgery safe, it has been exactly ten days after my surgery(07/14/09). The surgery went well, and the recovery it's going good so far. Before the surgery, I was a college level footballer, and one day during the MAX out sessions I failed to squat 495 pounds correctly and felt a small weight shift on my back, and a sudden pain thru my hamstring, i really though I had just pulled the muscle. I had lived with the excrutiating pain on my lower back all the way down to the bottom of my right foot for 6 months, it went thru my hind hamstring, calf and foot. I knew it was time to do something about it.

I started PT around 1 month after I got the MRI done that showed a hernia of one cm. The teraphy helped very little so I began to do my research to find a recognized neurosurgeoun. I couldn't be anymore thankful at this time. I am 20 years old, sure I'm never going to be able to play again, so bodybuild, but I really feel like everything happens for a reason.
Now I have shifted my focus on other things. I have a wonderful career ahead of me as an aeronautical engeneer, and people around me that keep me motivated.

I have been experiencing a pain similiar to the one beore the surgery, it travels down my leg the same way, although it doesn't shoot all the way down to my foot, but I'm some what concerned. I have been walking since a few hours after the surgery and now ten days later I feel brand new, except that minor discomfort. I haven't gone out, or driven. When I do sit down it's only to eat or just because I'm tired of laying down and walking.
But I just don't know whats the reason for the pain, sure compared
to the one before, it's nothing but geez im just worried.

I would greatly appreciate your comments and experices. I SERIOUSLY am thankful to know that theres people i can count on. And my heart and blessings go out to all Of you experiencing the same or worst.
Thank you!

• You are very early in your recovery. Try to be patient, and it is especially important that you do not try to do to much too soon. Remember and abide by the rules of no bending twisting, reaching up overhead and, no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk until you are healing well/healed. You are especially vulnerable for awhile while the disc heals and you don't want to do anything that might cause the disc to reherniate.

You may experience various little nerve pain sensations at any point during the healing process. You may find that you make progress for awhile, and then have a little setback. This is very normal.

Sounds like you are doing things right -- walking and resting, and limiting the amount of time you spend sitting.

Feel free to post often with any questions or comments! We are a friendly bunch here!

xx Gwennie
  • Definitely take it easy. There is hope but don't push it now. I had to undergo a repeat semi-emergent L5-s1 discectomy 3weeks after an operation for another huge recurrent herniation. I am now 4days post op. Sometimes younger folks and athletes don't feel the rules apply to them. I admit I find it hard to relate to those who can't work or do minimal athletic activity but I don't pretend to be in their shoes. I know I could force myself back onto a bike within a week of surgery because I like to push myself, pain or not, but not this time. Learn from my lesson. Everyone is different. There are no guarantees, Recurrent back issues of varying severity are common, but there are many sucess stories out there. I hope we both turn out to join those sucess stories.

My first surgery was a success. I had a discectomy 4/5 3 years ago and was able o return to elite cycle racing until a few months ago. so stay positive.