Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Growth Stimulator

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Today, I got a bone growth stimulator. Could anyone share their experience/success with such a unit? I thought it odd that I'm instructed to wear it 24/7 (except for bath).

Rusty
advertisement

Comments

• How long ago did you have surgery and what surgery did you have? I think it depends on the doc. I was never given a BGS until I went to another doc 8mos post op cuz I was still in pain and even worse than presurgery. He said I was not fusing and had me wear the BGS for 4hrs per day and I could break it up. I only wore it about 1 month. I would forget to put it on. Also I wasn't able to be in same room with computer and I was addicted to my laptop lol. I don't advise that you not wears yours though. I was just giving you my experience. You should follow your docs advice.
  • I had an ALIF at L5/S1 6 weeks ago. Although my fusion is growing, because I smoke and recently had high glucose serum levels, the doctor thought that the BGS would be helpful. I've never heard of anyone having to wear one 24/7. I don't see the doctor again for 2 months, so I guess I'm suppose to wear it until then.
  • ACDF C5/6..8/6/09....started the BGS at 2 wks post op....I wear it 4 hrs aday for another 7 wks.
    My only problem with it is the discomfort of it sitting across my shoulders..I'm a skinny minnie..by the time the 4th hr rolls around I am exhausted and worn out...I haven't been exrayed since my surgery yet to see if the fusion has started..I don't like the BGS but am tolerating it if it means fusing quicker than without it...
    Good luck to u...
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had 3 previous failed fusions and had surgery june 25th to remove broken plate and correct all the issues. I was given a BGS to wear the day after surgery. I wear it 4 hrs per day and at my 2 month check-up the x-rays showed fusion happening. My doc was very pleased at the amount of fusion that has begun to take place. I wear it daily as I see this surgery as my last chance and do not want to risk non union. I hate wearing the thing but I put it on at my busiest time of day so I kind of forget its there. When the beep goes off to tell me my 4 hrs are up everyone in the office yells " your done". It is a pain but follow your doctors advise, I am proof that they work.
    Susan
  • I had an ACDF c5-6, 6-7 on July 13th, 2009. I've worn the stim 4 hours a day, every day, since. Doc says the fusion is moving right along. I call it my "Hello Kitty necklace", lol. I have to wear it until the end of the year, then he says I should be fine without it.
advertisement