Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

relaxation techniques helps to decrease pain levels

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been dealing with pain in some fasion for quite some time now. I have migraines that I have dealt with on and off for over 18 years now. I also have chronic back pain as well as nerve pain. And finally in November of last year I was diagnosed with RA. I have been doing some reseach and trial and error in relaxation techniques to see how much it would/could help me with all this pain I have on a daily basis. I am happy to say that it is helping me quite a bit. I was able to cut my pain meds in half. My pm doctor was prescribing 15 mg of roxicodone for breakthrough up to three a day and 60 mg of Azinza once a day. I am now on 30 mg of the Azinza once a day and 15 mg of the roxicodone once a day, twice if the pain is severe. I am very pleased with the results. I find that if I don't reach for the meds first, but try to get my body to relax first, it is very helpful. I thought I would share this in hopes that it may help someone else too.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Tinker what you posted makes so much sense. Overall relaxation techniques can do wonders for some people. Yet on others they do not feel any response.

Part of the reason is that not every one can relax and believe in these techniques. Thats because it is not a needle, not a pain medication, nor an exercise.

Since I was seeing my Thai Deep Tissue Massage person, I have learned a lot from him in addition to the physical problems I have. He tends to focus on the Mind over body. I have tried some of his style at home and it has been helping. But again, thats not for everyone.
    Acupuncture can help many people, yet for others it does nothing.
    I wish there was a way you can test people to know what treatments will give them the best benefits.
    Over the years I have covered so many of these treatments and many of them have worked. A lot depends on what your problem is.
    There isnt any one cureall!

For me, sitting in a dark room with some aroma therapy containers working, scented candles and some
    soft and relaxing music helps me so much

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Distraction is always a good technique and relaxation has to be practised to gain the full benefit, stress becomes our norm and we live this uptight life which is also not good for you blood pressure, analysing what makes you stressed and having a plan does help. Our PM residential helped us develop tools and techniques in relation and I may have initially scoffed at the idea I gained some real benefit and would definitely help in the future.

It is interesting that you have changed your behaviour and identified that you may have previously taken more and increasing medication which may have given short term assistance and looking at the bigger picture will help with the migraine as well, make time for you and free from guilt in responsibility for others.

Take care and well done.

• Before I had surgery, I did some research online and found some CDs that were designed for helping the body heal and also on "mindful meditation." There are many wonderful products available now that we can use to relieve anxiety, stress, etc.and that teach us how to begin to manage pain.

• as has been said, these techniques help. I found that I had to practice with this every day. After awhile, I found that I could involke a response on seconds, when in the beginning it took a full 45 minutes to see some change. And for me, the most important part is very slowly transfering those good feelings and relaxation back to a moving state afterwards,

I found that when I am in a high pain cycle, it takes a lot more focus on getting a response, and sometimes find that using meds and then meditating as the meds bring the pain down allows me to reap a further benefit.

I hope you enjoy your journey!
This discussion has been closed.