Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need positive feedback please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
I have DDD (recently diagnosed) and I'm still adjusting to this major life change for me. I am an active, vibrant 60 year old female trying to find a new normal.

I have received all the usual treatements and alternative therapies (no surgery), and my lumbar spine continues to throb (2nd epidural next week; 1st one lasted a month).

I have been encouraged to take yoga and of course everyone tells me they can help me. Has anyone had improvement with yoga? I am not looking for temporary relief, I am looking for some improvement (at this point 50% improvement) through some kind of exercise and stretching program. Has anyone had good experience going this route?

Almost every post I see is negative with hopeless undertones. Does anyone come to these boards with positive, uplifting hopeful words for us?! Please, encouraging responses only. Thanks for letting me join you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    Honestly, being diagnosed with DDD at this stage in your life is not so bad.
    Degenerative Disc Disease is basically the aging of our spines. Most people will show some signs of DDD by the time they reach 30 years old.

DDD in most cases can be managed using an approved exercise program and NSAIDS. Rarely is surgical intervention required

I would discuss your situation with your doctor to understand what options you have. There are so many conservative treatments that can prove to be very successful.

I understand when you say that while reading posts, you see so many negative, it didnt work type of posts. There are MANY successful stories, but we dont always see them. People initially come to this site when they have problems. They are looking to pick up additional information and perhaps be involved in an online support group. So many times when a member starts to improve, they cease making posts. I am happy for those members, because they were able to find the correct path to make their lives so much better.

One ingredient that is so very important and no doctor can write a prescription for it - Its a positive and win-win attitude you take regarding your situation. It is amazing to see what our minds can really do once were set the right course
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i love Yoga and do think it helps with pain. :X some of the positions have to be adjusted a bit but with some professional help that should be no problem.. :-C have you tried swimming? :? it is pain free and so freeing to be out in the water.. good luck as you find a pain program to suit you.. :D Jenny :)
  • Interestingly, many people recently, including you, have reminded me that much of my recovery depends on me. I have struggled with regaining my positive attitude and fighting spirit....but I shall prevail!

The best of everything to you and yours
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    When I read that someone is going to try and win, I know that that person will do ok in the long run.
    Your comment "I shall prevail!" is so strong.
    There will be nothing that can beat you down and instead you will beat everything to regain what you are looking for.

Positive attitude can be one of the strongest medication we can take. We dont have to have scripts for it, we dont need to sign contracts, we dont have to worry what time we take it, etc.

We can do it ourselves
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • We are all in need of proportionate help as and when required and most of the people here come with a history of disappointment frustration and hopelessness, that said we try to help every individual whatever need they have some need more encouragement than others and our job its to help them get through, it can take a long time for the real them to be seen and that initial anger and difficulty we can all see through and had experience of.

In general we are trying to make people more positive and when you have had pain for a long time the way you behave and communicate can be influenced by your condition and we all try to make it through another day.

Any newbie arriving here or visitor would initially think we are all moaning and that is not the case, here we can be ourselves separate from the pressure of the outside world and all that expectation.

I am positive and try to help anybody I understand that mourning phase and what an impact this live can have, 60 is a good age and some here are very young and continue to miss out on opportunities that others take for granted, stay positive as once you have it, you can survive almost anything, I agree with your sentiment and with time we all see through the angst and hurt that some unintentionally bring to this arena with a hand outstretched, we are compassionate and will help.

Take care John.