Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What does this usually mean?

sacramentassacramenta Posts: 16
I am still not getting better from PT for herniated disk. Neurosurgeon did a nerve test. There is severe compression. He is sending me to a pain management doctor and he wrote for her to have a consult for injections. Do you know at this point since it is not healing will the pain management doctor be taking over my treatment or is it just for the injections alone? I didn't think to ask the doctor because he was kind of hurried the last visit. Thanks


  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,834
    The Pain Management doctor will be taking over.
    My Pain Mgt doctor is a Doctor in Physicist.
    She manages and controls my entire situation.
    - What diagnostic tests are need,
    - Control all medications
    - Setup appointments for Physical Therapy or other medical specialist

    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • There is no way of knowing, but my best guess is that he is directing the PM doc as to what and where he wants the injection. I doubt he has given up on you as a potential surgical candidate! I imagine he is planning on having you return for a decompression surgery if you do not respond to injections.

    It is his obligation to try various conservative measures prior to jumping to surgery. ESIs are one of the most common procedures that is tried. In many cases, one or more of these injections are enough to settle things down to a manageable level.

    Often a PM doc will take over the management of a case if/when surgical procedures are not an option.
  • go ahead and have the injection. It may be briefly painful but can alleviate pain temporarily. The pain management specialist may also be able to suggest various other conservative treatments.
    Think twice, thrice, many times about surgery if that's recommended.
    Just my personal opinion.

    The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only.
    This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical facts or rules
Sign In or Register to comment.