Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pharmacy would not fill my Rx...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Pain Medications
I went to a different pharmacy to have my 40mg Oxy ER filled. They were the only ones in town who had it in generic. After waiting a few minutes, the senior pharmacist came out and told me he would not fill my Rx. He said he did not recognize my Dr so he was not going to fill my script. This is total B.S. I had to get name brand and pay $30 more I did not have.
Does anyone know how I can file a complaint against this pharmacy?

• I had the same thing happen and I got her Pharmacist liscence number from her over the phone but never called a complaint about her. They could've looked up the Dr for you. In Canada we have the College of Physcians online I'm sure they could've contacted the Dr. but I've had them give me 2 pills and get the rest filled once when they had to clarify an order about my meds with the Dr. I've never really had any roblems with another Pharmacist. I never have gone back there though. The BBB is one place and the Pharmacists must have an Association they're with. Good luck. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That was complete nonsense! What does this guy mean by "I don't recognize this doctor?" Does he personally know each and everyone in the state? How stupid! I pay out of pocket for generic Oxycontin 40mg and I take it twice daily. I would hate to be forced to buy the name brand. To file a complaint, I would first contact the pharmacy manager in the store. If you get nowhere, there is a toll free number posted at the pharmacy to call in complaints at the corporate office. If they toy with you, call your local state board of pharmacy regulators. You came in with a legitimate script and there is no reason not to fill it, esp if you are a regular customer. Like many of us, we have to stick to one pharmacy because we are under pain clinic contracts. You can let your PM doctor know ahead of time that you want to change to a new one because of all the trouble they give you. Make sure you have the new pharmacy address and phone number on hand. Don't do anything before you get permission and then you'll be good to go.
  • My neighbors brother in law is a pharmacist. He has told me that a pharmacists has the legal right to not fill a prescrition for any reason they see fit. Granted, not good for business, but they do have the decision on whether or not they want to fill a prescrition or not. Most cases he has told me about, what usually ends up happening is the customer either comes back when that certain pharmacists is not working or they just simply go elsewhere. Like I said, not good business pratice and not good for the customer, but some people just plain sux sometimes. Hope you have better luck next time.
  • They said they have been out of the 10 mg Oxy ER Generic for 3 months... I was stuck paying twice as much for the Brand name... anyone else find this?
  • There has been a shortage of oxy all around the country. A while back I was given part of my prescription and had to return in a few days to get the rest of it. They said they were having a very hard time receiving what they ordered.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    It is true that the pharmacist to refuse to fill a prescription based on different reasons. Most of the time that this happens is:

1- Time period since last fill is too short, Insurance company has guidelines on various medications.
    2- Forged or Altered prescription. Most of the doctors in my area went to the watermark prescriptions so alterations would be almost impossible.

BUT, for the pharmacy to refuse you because they dont recognize the doctors name is so so so wrong!
    If you had a cell phone with you at the time, I would call the doctors office and have them speak to the pharmacist to verify the prescription. A simple phone call is all that was needed, but that phone call SHOULD have come from the Pharmacy and not you.

Lets assume, you made the call, the doctors office talked to the pharmacist and things get worked out.
    I would then tell the pharmacist to hand back your prescription and let them know you will never come back here again. And before leaving, as the pharmacist who you can contact to file a formal complaint. If they refused, then see the store manager and continue go up the chain until you find someone you can register your complaint
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • In NYS, the pharmacist has the right to refuse to fill a prescription for any reason and they do not have to provide you with one either.
    I was going to a pharmacy for well over a year, and one day, they had a new hire, just out of pharmacist school who refused to fill the same montly scripts that I had been filling since my first back surgery. Why? Because she felt that the Oxycontin that I was taking was to be prescribed every 12 hours, and not every 8, so she refused to fill it.
    I talked to her head pharmacist who reinforced what she had told me and I told him that he had not only lost one customer but 6 in total, because I would take all of my family's scripts elsewhere and that is what I did.
  • I heard on the news once that pharmacists decline to fill certain medication like for example the morning after pill because of their religious or personal beliefs. Other pharmacists might not want to dispense Oxycontin because of all the abuse and paranoia, and they may even stop carrying it in fear of being robbed.

If you are a regular customer and come in every month from the SAME doctor, then it's ridiculous for them to all of a sudden refuse to fill the Oxycontin.

Has anyone heard about problems finding generic 40mg Oxycontins?
  • It's called the conscience clause and most states have it, in some form.
  • i think there is a legal precidence however. maybe ot for narcotics, but for some rx guy to withhold lifesaving meds from a patient who has an rx and drs orders to take it, if he was refused meds by pharmacist and died cuz there was no other rx around u might have a case, im no lawyer but it would be interesting to hear a judges point of view.
    thats where cases are decided by jury or judge not always matter what they taught your cuzin vinny at rx school about witholding meds
  • This particular pharmacist felt that she knew better than the same doctor that I had been seeing and had been prescribing those meds for me for a year at that point. She also took issue with the Lyrica that I was on, as well as the baclofen. She was brand new as I said and she had no other valid reason for not filling them. In fact, my doctors office called me to fill me in that she was giving them a hard time to ask why and that was how I found out about what she was doing.
    I spoke to her and told her to check my fill records, they had been filled exactly as they were written for a year, never early or with a different doctor, I was getting no meds from any other physician so there was no justifiable reason other than she objected to the 8 hour dosing.
  • My issue with this is a little different, maybe i am missing something. As I understand it, they refused to fill it because they didn't recognize the DR, then you had to pay more for the brand name? If I have misunderstood sorry. If it is an issue of recognizing the DR, why would they give the med at more money?
  • I think what happened here is that the calls made were to find a pharmacy with the prescribed med in the cheaper generic form in stock. When our spine friend here found a pharmacy with it, the pharmacist then denied filling his script because he felt like it. Hence our friend here says he had to pay more which implied to me that he had to go back to his usual place and pay for the brand name overpriced stuff.

I've had to do this too because of the legal battles over Oxycodone in the generic form allegedly "stealing" "their" brand. Supplies have dried up.
  • Hi all,

It is my understanding, through information I obtained from a pain medication lobbyist forum that posted info from the FDA's website, that the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) and the FDA have agreed to limit the country's supply of oxycontin due to its abuse. So unfair to those of us in need of this medication. My doctor prescribed MS Contin when I started chronic pain meds in May due to the low supply of oxycontin.

Best wishes to all,

• i heard all these rumors of shtages and such mar but ive never had any problems getting my refills and ive heard these rumors going back over a year now, lol. where are you guys getteing this info.? sunds crazy to me.
  • Hi Spineys,

I live in the Pacific Northwest and there is a shortage in my rural area which is not a hotbed of drug activity.

I'm due to refill my meds and wondered if I should ask my GP if he should consider prescribing something else for me. Is this situation any better or worse than it was a few weeks ago?