Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm Free!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, everyone!

Well, I had my first post-op visit with my neurosurgeon (who walks on water) this morning, and I've graduated!

Since my surgery June 17th, I've walked over 130 miles (yes, miles), and in part I credit this constant motion with my easy and successful recovery. My doc has prescribed four weeks of PT, 2-3 times/week, to get my core muscles strengthened; otherwise, I can return to work this Thursday (which will be 6 weeks to the day post-op). He just said to stand up for 30 seconds to a minute (at least) every half hour or so just so I'm moving and not sitting all day every day. That I can do.

Just wanted to share my good news with everyone, as I know so many times people wonder whatever happened to ....

Thank you all for your kind support and advice throughout this ordeal. You're wonderful (as is this site!!)! >:D<

I wish you all the very, very best.

• that's wonderful you are doing so well...do you still plan on using the walking poles?
    keep up the great work
  • Congrats!!!! you are an inspiration to those of us still in recovery!

I started walking two weeks post op, every day ffor just one week, then got sick with what turned out to be bronchitis.

But after getting the right meds, I started walking again this morning!!

• Good for you Rose, you're my new hero =D> We are more than happy to celebrate a successful recovery. Keep up the good work <:P
  • Hi, Pete.

Yep! Last Friday I got the Boomyah (www.boomyah.com) poles I'd ordered, and I've walked with them since then. MBT shoes, Nordic walking poles, I feel almost athletic these days! B) Well, except I'm not taking any steroids. ;)

• TO hear you're doing so well after surgery. I hope you continue to recover so well. Quite an encouragement for us. Take care and best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey, Allicat & Meydey,

I'll be happy to your inspiring hero for the day! (8) Seems so good to have such happy news to report. Thank you for celebrating with me.

Alli, I certainly hope nothing interrupts your walking this time around.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you're doing so well. It's nice to hear success stories. Take care of yourself.
  • Glad to hear it. But, take care of that back and keep up core exercises to stay free.
  • I was a quick healer, too. I went back to work at 6 weeks... then got bronchitis, the shingles, and pink-eye (all at the same time). But even with that... and taking Prednezone (which doesn't promote bone growth)... I still fused early. By 3 months I was completely done and don't need to see the doctor until next year!

And I think the walking helped. I did a lot of that, too. Also keeping my spirits up seemed to make a difference.
  • Hi Rose! Your story is awesome regarding recovery. Today is six weeks for me for an PLIF. I see my doctor next Wednesday, and am hoping to go back to work soon.
    Walking and keeping moving is so important for ME. Besides that, rest too. Still can't sit too long in one place without leg pain.
    Blessings on your return to "regular life".
  • As my NS said - Motion is the Lotion! Sounds like all that walking really worked for you :) I'm so happy for your success!!

Now... just still be CAREFUL!!! No relapses :)
  • I am so happy for you and happy to hear a success story.

Take care of your back and keep your core strong!!!

Congrats >:D<
  • Hi, all!

Life is still good, but (dang overachiever that I am), I seem to have overdone it as far as PT is concerned. Apparently I was bound & determined to show my therapist tomorrow that I could do a headstand on my therapy ball ... and hold the position for 12 minutes. Well, O.K. So I exaggerate. :^o

But I wanted to work really hard to build up those core muscles before she returned from vacation, and the first time I went through my routine with my new therapy ball, I took it a bit too far. Ended up with muscle spasms, of all things! (No, I didn't do any damage to the surgery site; it would feel this way had I not even had the surgery but just jumped into a new workout routine with both feet.)

Good grief.

So I'm just back to walking more than anything, which always feels good. I'll see her tomorrow, confess my mia culpa, and go more slowly once it isn't painful to start in again with the home PT.

Hope y'all are doing well!!