Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Fusion #2, help!

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Fellow Spineys. Went to my Orthopaedist to go over my discogram results and (no suprise) I am in pretty bad shape. Six years ago I had L2-L4 fused, with hardware. Now L4-S1 is shot and I need another fusion. I also have cervical Kyphosis and C3-C7 is basically shot, but I digress....My question is to any of you who have had had a fusion, then need another next to it, how did you do? How was your recovery? Did you have to wear a brace?
I am getting a second opinion, but I totally trust my surgeon. He wants to do an ALIF with PEEK implants. I don't want to have him go through the back like last time. I am 43 years old and have 2 girls, ages 4 and 7. The recovery scares me more than the surgery! Thanks for any input.

• Hi Lisa...

This is my second fusion and it was adjacent to my first, but mine is in the cervical area.

I had an ACDF done on C4-5 fused 15 years ago without instrumentation. I woke up from surgery and all well; wore a soft collar for several weeks and everything is fine.

I'm now recuperating from another ACDF this time on C5-6, but the harder part is that at the same time he did a posterior fusion & laminectomy from C4-7 with rods, screws.

Having had the first one to compare it to, this one is way more difficult because of the posterior laminectomy.

But I'm 15 years older now and didn't exercise...I've walked more since my surgery four weeks ago then I did four months before it!

Anyway, it does happen. Good luck to you and if you have time and energy try to begin your exercise program now so it's easier aftwards. Be sure to ask for help with your kids. Mine are older: 18 & 14, and they have been a big help.

God bless!!