Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wow what a joy not..

vgearshiftervvgearshifter Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Wow I am so happy that I did have the surgery on my back. The laminectomy on L5 and discectomy on L5-S1 has been great so far. I know it is early still as it was only done on July 13th but I would gladly do it again. Immediately I felt better with my nerve pain and numbness. I honestly can't believe how much relief that I got from the surgery. The little bit of problems I am having still I can live with now. I was so scared before surgery because I was only given a 50/50 chance for it to help. As soon as I was in my hospital room I could tell the difference with the nerves. Yes I had pain at the site but I could feel my feet/legs completely. Wish my doctor had referred me to the neurosurgeon in the first place and not the idiot spine doctor in the beginning of May. I am going to ask for a copy of my report when I go back in three weeks. I was told that he found lots of calcium build up but that could have been from my gout. I know that was there is an injury that my gout will attack the new injury site right away. So hopefully that is why there was so much build up. I will find out though maybe on the report. Anyways, to all out there never give up on yourself because if I had I wouldn't have had my surgery done now.

• so good to hear of a successful outcome. you were brave to proceed with only a 50 50 shot of being success. now you can look forward to some pain free days. enjoy
  • Great to here of your success!!!!!!!!!!

Chat with you soon.
  • So great to hear you are doing so well!!!! You were given such a run around for too long.

• I'm so glad to hear such wonderful news. I too am seeing a NeuroSurgeon in October and hope he can help me also. Going to 2 Orthos was no help to me either. I hope you heal completely. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Nice to hear things went well for you Candy. I am so pleased for you.

Tc Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi, Candy.

How wonderful that you're doing so well! I wish you an uneventful and complete recovery in no time.

• Congratulations on such an amazing difference. It's what we all hope for when we have surgery and you're one of the lucky ones ( probably all that positive thinking and our good wishes).

Just remember to follow docs orders no matter how good you feel. You have a lot of healing to do. Keep up the great progress!

• No never did get the emails sent to the hospital. Couldn't even find out where they were when I was in the hospital. I was waiting to see them all.

I will try and remember to not over do it. It is hard to do but the muscle spasms do remind me that I am only 2 weeks post op.

Thank you all for the well wishes and good thoughts. I hope that it keeps getting better everyday.

• I'm scheduled for surgery on August 20th and want to hear success stories please..I'm so nervous..But have been dealing with horrible spasms since November. been through spinal decompression. 4 lumbar facet joint injections many many meds.Physical therapist said he could not help me but I'm needing to hear successs tories because I just keep reading horrible things I've got L-4 L-5 rubbing together causing nerves to compress and have shooting pains Can anyone motivate me to have this surgery?
  • I had a spinal fusion (ALIF) at L5/S1 on June 10th. Like you, the vertebrae were rubbing together. The disc was all but gone. The Orthopedic surgeon separated the two and inserted a 'cage' with cadavar bone & BMP. He then stabilized it with a plate and 4 screws. He was able to obtain a secure fit, and I've had no problems from the surgery. I was in the hospital two days and have been relatively pain free since. My only problem with the surgery is boredom. No bending, lifting, twisting for the time being. I also have osteoarthritis that will continue to flare up on days, but nothing to do with the surgery. It's fusing nicely. At first I was petrified. But now, if the doctor said that he needed to repeat the same surgery in another place I wouldn't hesitate. I expected it to be much worse, and was pleasantly surprised, as I am one that is squeemish (sp) at drawing blood. That is my experience, and I know that I'm lucky. I contribute the ease of recovery to the fact that the incision was made in my abdomen, rather than in my back. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you will keep us posted. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.