Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery quibbles

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Im a newby to this, i had lumbar discetomy surgery 15th july on my L5S1 after 8 months of severe full leg pain. Came outa hosp two days later with servere pain in leg with very agresive dull pain on certain movement. I soon learnt that if used my body correctly insted of still trying to compensate for a bad leg the pain would actually subside, learning to push through the pain is scary and hard to do. Ive been out and about trying to walk, the pain is improving every day but im in a worse condition to pre op state, is this it now! I didnt realise the process was potentially a long road to recovery. The one really painful part is the pain in my groine is very unconfortable is this normal? Anyone?

Any views welcomed!

Thanks for reading

• Hi, Angel.

Have you called your doctor's office? That would be the first thing I would do. Their job isn't by any means finished yet; it's just begun. The surgery was the first step toward your recovery.

I wonder if your groin pain is related to cauda equina syndrome (you can Google it & learn all about it if you're interested) at all? Has anyone mentioned this particular malady to you?

What medications are you on now? Did your doctor give you instructions to walk lots or to rest?

Hang in there. Everyone is unique, and we all have slightly different reactions to things like surgery. You should find tons of support through your surgeon's office and the hospital where you had your surgery performed; they all want it to succeed.

Let us know what you find out, 'K? :??
  • cage. Horrible spasms. ANYTIME I bend, twist, turn, sleep wrong, it sends me back to before surgery. I have sciaticia in my LEFT leg now. Chronic Pain across my lower back/buttock region; this pain has never ceased. I have had steroids, oral and injection, but am making it on 3 loritab daily. Never Required nothing stronger.

I have always tried to keep my core strong, strenght train, but I accepted a position where I have been sitting for 6 months now (and the position is 2nd shift). therefore I sleep late morning b/c of tossing and turning. I have been on a host of relaxers.

I had pins, screws and carbon cage to keep disc from collasp on L4-L5. HAD MRI A couple of days ago. Is it possible for the disc that is attached to the pins (L3) become less viable, degenerative, thus causing pain, tingling, numbness down to my toes etc b/c of scar tissue and inability for mobility b/c of the fusion? Back surgery is not a cure!!!!!!!