Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
I tried to search the forums before asking, but I apparently am not the best searcher on the planet and wasn't able to see what I'm looking for.

I have been having back issues for the past 9 years. An MRI 7 years ago showed that I have bulging disks on all 5 Lumbar and Arthritus throughout along with a couple other things.

The question I have is this. I know that bladder issues are talked about in the fact that if you lose control it's a serious problem. But does anyone have issues with getting things started? There are times that I'll stand at the stall and have to wait for some time before I can get things going and then it's weak. I'm not sure if this is in relation to my back problems or if this is more of a prostate type issue. Wasn't sure if anyone else had similar issues.

I asked my doctor about it and was told, "hmm. Not sure what would be causing that."

Any thoughts? I'm going in for a Toradol injection today because I'm going on 4 weeks now with pain that I can't get rid of. It's driving me crazy and it's affecting my mood drastically.

• i think you better get to spinal surgeon on this one. in my opinion your dr. should be more concerned. if its prostate then that should be checked. if its spine then the surgeon may have to go to work. you dont want to end up with permanent damage to that part of your body
    i had that trouble once with my bladder and the surgeon had me go right into surgery to have it fixed.
    hope they get to the bottom of the problem.
  • You should definitely find a doctor who will take this complaint seriously. Urine retention often precedes loss of bowel and bladder control with cauda equina syndrome and other spinal cord injuries, so this symptom is one that definitely deserves attention. Even if it isn't related to your back, prostate issues can also be very serious so it is imperative to have this evaluated.

This is also completely off topic, but has it been 7 years since your last MRI? Just a thought, but it may be time for a new one to see what exactly is going on or if there have been any changes since your last one...
  • Thank you for the comments. I have seriously been thinking of going to a new doctor to have things looked at for a 2nd opinion due to the fact that I've been with the same one for a while and feel like he's becoming numb to my complaints.

I did get a shot yesterday that seemed to help for about 12 hours. However, driving into work this morning I'm right back to where it hurts to walk and move. It's nothing like it's been in the past, but discomfort for 4 weeks tends to really suck!

As for the MRI, yes, it has been 7 years since my last one. The last time I went to my doctor I asked about possibly getting a new one to see what changes have happened and he kind of blew it off. Yesterday, however, he mentioned that it may be a good time to get a new one. He put me on a 12 day steriod pack and some pain killers and told me to take the pack and if it's still causing problems after the dose to let him know and we'll look at scheduling another MRI. We did take an x-ray and everything looks good. It did however show that there was some possible bone on bone at the L5-S1.

I hate to say it, but I hope that I'm still sore in 12 days so I can get the 2nd MRI to see what changes have happened over the years.
This discussion has been closed.