Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, new can't find my post. I had L-4, L-5 spinal fusion...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
with pins, screws and carbon cage fused with cadiver bone. I am 3 yrs post op. Pain never stopped, it just transferred. Sciatica is back only on LEFT leg now. All i have to do is twist, turn, lift funny, lay wrong, sleep wrong, and it sends me into an episode for 5-7 days with heat....etc.

Making a day on 3x loritab. Try not to take relaxers as they realy knock me out. I am swollen from anti inflammaotory's and steroid shots and orally.

Has anyone heard of the disc locate BESIDE where they put the rods and screws degenerating? L-3...my last mri revealed was degerative disc on L3. What happens to the disc surrounding these pins and screws/

oh, and the lovely part is I have no insurance, cause everyting is preexisting.

Pls respond.

Summer
advertisement

Comments

• :H Welcome to the forum my dear. I also had/have no insurance before and after my surgeries. The county ate the cost of my medical bills because I'm considered low income.

I'm sorry you are suffering so bad. I don't know the answer to your question. I'm sure the Mods can tell you where your post went. I'm sure someone will answer your post and I hope they can help you.

God bless

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I'm lucky I still have insurance, but I'm on cobra...so that won't last long. My doctor did tell me that after a extended period of time (how long, I don't know...his words) that the disks above and below can start to act up.

Feel better,
    Jessica
  • One surgeon told me that there is a "golden window" of 10 years or so after fusion where the disc above or below the fusion site goes bad from the stress of the fusion. Another told me that it is very individual, some folks never have discs go bad.

I am sorry for your insurance situation. Too bad you can't have the hardware out to see if that is the culprit, if that's what your doc thinks would help.
  • I had my fusion on L4-S1 over a year ago and my pain never let up. I also have severe DDD in the same discs and I have worried about further degeneration on the upper adjacent discs. I am fortunate to have already been on social security when all my back problems started, but believe me I still pay an arm and a leg for all my medical needs and meds. I landed in a doughnut hole in only 4 months. Anyway, I wish there was a way for you to go to pain mgt for treatment, but I know it's very expensive. If I wasn't on Medicare it would be impossible to find a private insurance company to cover me. Have you thought about applying for SSDI?
  • gave me a big ole shot of freaking delada. Never been on that before. ALL MY PAIN WENT AWAY. It is now traveling down my left leg and feels like stabbing in my left leg. I have this constant grimace on my face. Never required anything stronger that Loritab. (other than post-surgery and about a month pre). It seems that L-4 and L5 hardware looks "normal". How they can read this from an MRI beats me. Nerves don't show up on an mri. The E.R doc said NOW I HAVE mild to moderate stenosis and bone-on-bone on guess what...S1. Now in a whole new alphabet of my spine.!!!

L-3 shows sign of degenarative disk disease. Is this what you mean by DDD? I gave them my YTD AND MY MRI WAS FREE. They did financial counseling and my charge was only 5%. Thank God. Does anyone know what I can look for NOW WITH the bone-on-bone on S1? and ddd on L-3??? The ER surgeon didn't elaborate. MY PCP DR ISN'T OR 2 WEEKS.

BTW, I HAVE ONLY BEEN @ MY JOB for 5 months; i have called in 2 or 3 times missing up to 4 days of work @ a time, me and my heating pad w/back pain; I sit all day with ZERO brakes, bend, stoop, twist, etc. My boss today suggested fmla, but he is unaware ya have to be employed for a year. I figure (EVEN WITH A DR. STATEMENT) I WILL STILL GET WRITTEN UP... PLEASE EVERYBODY...CHIME IN...
advertisement