Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 Days Post Stimulator Implant - How long will the battery implant hurt?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Pain Management
So here I am 7 days post-op back at work and trying to normalize my life. I came back to work on Monday. It has been really hard, especially driving. It is very very hard to drive. I cannot move very much to turn my head or make sharp turns with the steering wheel. Not to mention every time I turn I am in excruciating pain where the battery is because the car makes me lean to the side. I drive with a pillow behind my back to minimize the pain. I feel like the skin is ripping apart where they implanted the battery. How long will it hurt?

If you are looking for more info on spinal cord stimulation or peripheral field stimulation please go to my blog. I have documented my whole experience trial to perm implant and everything in between. What limitations I had, pics of the implant, pics of the stim, what treatments I have had and what worked for me. Basically I documented the entire process because I still had alot of questions before I had mine done. I wanted there to be another honest resource out there for patients, in addition to all the other awesome resources already available. :)

Standards agreement and posting rules
Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• I can't believe that the pain is excruciating and you can still manage to not wreck your car. The pocket pain I experienced wasn't fun, but it wasn't a show stopper or excruciating either. It was an uncomfortable burning pain that would subside as I quit moving or "disturbing" it. Each day it got better and better and after the staples were taken out it was even more comfortable. It took a good 2 months for the pocket to really "settle" in for the long haul but it was only the first two weeks that I would disturb the pocket each time I got up or down from a seat or move just right to set it off.

I used an ice pack and anti-inflammatory to manage the irritation. I was able to walk several miles a day from the 4th day post op and ride in cars and the subway.

Maybe I was just so grateful to feel so much better that I wasn't bothered by it as much.

• just read your blog....great info....thanks...
    i hate to tell you this but i read st. judes leterature and they dont want anyone driving a vehicle with stimulator on. i have discussed this with others and they chose to use it while driving. now i am talking about the spinal stimulator not the peripheral stimulator that you have.
    maybe thats different...anyway hope discomfort subsides
  • I drive with the stimulator on all the time. In fact many times I turn up the amplitude specifically for driving. What the companies are worried about, are the folks who don't have their stimulator adjusted properly for the activity and then they move just right and get jolted. They (the companies)also don't want to be blamed for their equipment causing an accident when it could simply be driver error.

Common sense goes a long way when it comes to driving for someone that suffers chronic pain. Even more so for someone that uses a stimulator. I could not even consider driving if I turned off my stimulator. I set it for the max comfort I can get without it getting so strong that it causes involuntary reaction. Common sense that allows me to function and not be a hazard on the road due to trying to drive with chronic pain and spasms.

• Hi. I got my SCS about three months ago. I love it, now. During the first week I was in a lot of pain with mine. I would get stuck in a chair and need help out because moving even the slightest muscle hurt so bad! That was very short lived though. Sleeping on my back was a problem for maybe 3 or 4 days. Pain which then turned into more of just an annoyance at both the lead insert spot and the battery pocket lasted a few months for me, getting less and les as time went on. I can honestly say now that it doesn't hurt at all. I welcome the tingling and the amount of pain it relieves. The company does say not to drive with it on but really driving is when I need it most, so I do drive with it. I carefully set it to the right level before leaving the driveway though.

Good luck with your's. In no time at all you will be very glad you have it I bet!