Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Wasn't sure where to light because you name the back condition, I have it: Spinal stenosis, scoliosis, spondy,degeneration,bone spurs. And these are from neck to tail bone.

For two years I've suffered first mid-back pain, then, and more severely, nerve pain in areas of my left hip and leg that vary from flare up to flare up. I literally couldn't walk due to thigh pain for a couple of months last winter. Several epidurals, pt, therapeutic massage and a variety of drugs, plus time, I guess, brought me back well enough to make a trip to Europe in May and to walk (stroll) city streets for hours at a time.

Unfortunately, about a month ago, the pain came back, I don't know why. This time it's up and down both sides of my thigh, my left hip and my knee. It was excrutiating at first, and has plateued for a couple of weeks to just moderate pain walking, and worse pain lying in bed at night.

I'm back on neurontin, less than I took last winter because it was making me feel mentally ill, but still enough to lower the pain some. Also, I take Tylenol pretty regularly.
The slightest exercise brings on the burning pain.

The idea of surgery on my back terrifies me because for every success story and read and hear about, there are many who are worse of after surgery.

I'm running out of ideas, and I am depressed at the thought that I am becoming an enfeebled old lady facing an almost homebound future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know you all have suffered as I have, and I wish the best for you.

• trouble throughout the spine is also what i have .they told be they cant operate on my whole back. i hope your situation is better than mine...like eve mentioned get several opinions. i'm going for the spinal stimulator this sept. best of luck....hope you have many trips in the future
  • You've already gotten such great advice and it pretty much covered anything I was going to comment on.

I'm glad you found this site and I agree with the others that it's important to get more than one opinion.

I also agree that those who had successful surgeries are not on here posting, instead they are out there living an active lifestyle we all strive to have some day.

You are your only and best advocate so be sure to do as much research as you can. You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site regarding the spine as well as a great support system.

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to PM me with any questions or comments or just to chat.
  • So far you've unaminously suggested I get more than one opinion about possible treatment options.
    I have been thinking of doing just that, though as I know you all understand, it's becomes a bit wearying, trudging from doctor's office to treatment clinic to hospital to another doctor...you know just what I mean.
    When this flare up slakens just a bit more, I hope to collect all my previous test data and seek the opinion of another surgeon.
    I'll keep reading here and posting when I have news.
    Thanks very much again for your kind and encouraging words.