Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey there!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, all. Call me Remyr, an online alias of mine.
I'm sixteen years old and female, for any askers.

As for my reason for being here, I have scoliosis in an s-curve. When I was eleven, my school did mandatory screenings and it was caught just before I would have needed surgery to correct the curvature. After a slew of referrals, I had a back brace shortly after my twelfth birthday in the summer, just about a week before school started again. I spent 23 months in that brace, then got out of it two weeks after my fourteenth birthday, on July 2nd. I set the accursed item on fire with sparklers on the Fourth.

However, my doctor did not suggest any exercises to strengthen my back and abdominal muscles. Ever since, they have been sub-par in strength, but that's not too bad. When I carry anything bulky or heavy for any length of time though, my lower back hurts badly. Exactly where my lower, more extreme curve is most apparent, at that.

As my grandpa is a chiropractor, he can help when my back pain bothers me most, but he lives a town away. I am learning Kundalini Reiki to possibly self-treat some, so any word on that would also be welcomed. As school is starting again soon and I know already that I will have several large textbooks to lug around all day, I am certainly... *anticipating* this new year in that respect.

Well... there's the unintentionally long intro I came up with. Enjoy.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am glad you stopped by.. :D be careful with your book bag and take breaks when you can. =D> good luck with the new school year! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi, and again, welcome!
    Although our conditions are different, our ages are similar (I'm a 15 yr old female) and so, I'm also looking for ways to combat heavy books in the lovely upcoming school year. You probably have many ways already, but another which I've been using is to carry a side bag as opposed to a back pack, as if the strap is short enough to be carried just at your side, and you resist carrying in on a shoulder, it can take a lot of stress off of your back... or it did mine anyway :D