Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hip bone being used to fix past L4-S1 fusion.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a L4-S1 fusion April 08'. At first, I assumed I was experiencing normal healing pain...and for a while I was fine. Every doctor's visit, the doctor said my back was fusing. All of a sudden, I couldn't put any weight on my right foot, or sit on my right butt cheek without pain. I go in, and they do a MRI. My doctor said it could be a problem with a screw, but he wasn't going to remove the hardware; because my fusion was so new. He prescribed steroids and pain meds. Now, it's about three months later, and I'm still in pain. My last doctor's visit, my doctor said that my bone hadn't fused properly. His reason was my smoking habit. So, I was sent off to cat scan to access the fusion. Tomorrow, I'm going back in to get my results. If the fusion isn't right, he's going to use my hip bone to try to fuse everything together. What the hell did he use the first time? This time, he offered cadaver bone, and I was like no way!!!!! He said that my own bone would have less likely chances of rejection. So, any one out there have this done before? He said I'll be in a little more pain than last time, but he's never had this surgery...so, he has no clue the amount of pain you're in when you wake up.
Ya'll let me know. Tomorrow's the day to schedule the surgery...

• I did not have hip bone donor graft, but from what I understand, the pendulum is swinging back to this being the best medium for fusion(as opposed to cadaver or ground up pieces of your vertebrae being removed anyway.)

Have a friend who just had this done, her brace rubs against the site on her hip. She uses lots of ice packs. I would suggest trying on the brace and seeing if a piece of foam would fit to help keep the brace from rubbing against donor site. Anyone else have any experience here?

What did he use the first time? Just curious if you had BMP since you describe what sounds like nerve pain that came on postop. If BMP was used with the bone he used, BMP can cause bone to grow on your spinal nerve roots and cause compression on nerve roots resulting in return/new postop nerve pain(mine came at 5 weeks.) Just curious, something to ask your doc what he did use. More informed you are, better choices you can make.

No lecture here, but smoking does prematurely age your discs and some studies say it interferes with fusion. Just wondered if your doc told you about that before surgery or not, or if this is something he's said for the first time now that things aren't going as he planned.
  • Yes, he did tell me to stop smoking before...but as my grandmaw says, "a hard head pays with a sore @$$." In this case, it literately does. I'm not sure what he used before to fuse my back. I was 28 at the time of the surgery, so I had no idea what I was getting into. This time, I'm way, way more informed.

I'm hearing on several sites that the pain from the hip bone removal is greater than the back surgery. God help me.

• Don't believe everything you read on these forums!! That may be true in a few cases, but most people get through it just fine.

Are you still smoking? If so, the chance of not fusing a second time is still a possibility.

It is entirely possible that the surgeon will be able to harvest the bone from the iliac crest at the same time that he makes the incision for the fusion.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had 2 surgeries using hip bone. The pain I experienced from the hip was not too bad. I was not able to lie on my side that the graft came from for a few months. I was told the amount of bone taken was a little smaller then a deck of cards and it is that area only (not the whole hip) that was sore. I learned to baby my hip and within time the pain was gone. Good luck and I hope if you do have future surgery that it is a success.
  • Thank all of your for your comments. I'm off in about 45 minutes to head out to the orthopedist. I do plan to stop smoking...well, the plan is today. I think I'll have to slowly cut it out though.