Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mrs. Positive not so positive

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

I am almost 3 months post-op and was extremely positive about my surgery. I was doing very well for the first two months. I've noticed lately that since my doc cleared me of some restrictions, I am in more pain. I am experiencing restless leg syndrome, numbness in left leg from hip to knee(pre and post-op), nerve pain in legs, pains in stomach where they went in (scar tissue), and cannot be on my feet for more than 30 minutes without having to sit down and rest. I am not expecting to be pain free because doc was very clear that this was not a cure, but I was expecting things to be a little different than before the surgery. Some days I feel surgery was the best thing and other days I feel no different than before. Don’t get me wrong, pain is less intense and different than pre-surgery, more of an ache than stabbing pain that radiates down legs. Am I expecting too much too soon?

I received bad news the other day; I may not be able to return to work. My husband and I talked to the doctors (NS, GP, IME) and all agree that returning to work may not be possible. Doc said that surgery was done to prevent me from being in a wheelchair and that I have to live with my limitations and said I should start applying for SSD. I am very depressed because I have worked since I was 14 yrs. old and led a very active life. I tell my docs that I read these forums of others who have return to work after having the same surgery and their explanation is that each case is different and that I have major nerve damage in legs which may never heal. They continue to tell me to get a hobby and enjoy the rest of your life. I am in pain every second of every day but cope by pain meds, meditations and having faith in God. I am just having difficulty dealing with the decision of what to do with the rest of my life. Thanks for letting me vent everyone, it really helps having someone to talk who isn’t tired of hearing you complain.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I haven't been through what you have but I do know the feelings you're having of being discouraged and 'lost'. I hope that your pains will lessen with time. I'm sure it'll take a long time for you to heal after the surgery you had. I'm here to listen anytime and vent all you need. We understand. Keep the faith.

• That would knock the wind out of just about anyone's sails! I applaud you for still sounding positive - despite the horrid news.

I do know that 3 mo. post op was still early days for me. I'm much better than I was then. If increased activity is giving you pain then I can't see that it's doing you any good to be doing more stuff. Take it easier - like I said, 3 mo. is still very soon.

Best of luck -
  • " I am experiencing restless leg syndrome, "

I have read that restless leg syndrome is caused by coming off narcotic drugs but soon passes. Hopefully this won't be one of your problems for long.
  • I've had restless leg syndrome for several years & I wasn't coming off of anything. The prescription drug "Requip" is dispensed for it, and it is quite effective. It was most uncomfotable when I was sleeping, or riding as a passenger in a vehicle. I hope that you are able to get relief soon because it can really be bothersome.