Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-ACDF surgery, scared of choking...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I choked on a life saver when I was 8 yrs old and since then (i'm 43 now) have feared this...my kids having candy, cutting up their food (they won't let me anymore :)))
(they're 10 & 14)...anyway, I've read a lot about eating, drinking after surgery and feeling like you're choking.

Do you just "feel" like you are or are you really gasping for air?

This may sound crazy...but, this almost makes me not want to go through with this. When I first heard about this procedure...my mom and I thought of all procedures for me to have to have...on the front of my neck...the worst "mental" possibitlty ever!
Thanks for you input and experience!!

• I had a 3-lvl and didn't have much difficulty with swallowing at all. In fact, the night I came home I was able to eat my hubby's famous pork chops.

I agree with Eve - it never felt like I was choking, just like I had a sore throat and I've also had worse sore throats when I'd been sick before.

Take care.
  • Never felt like Choking. I think, as said above that it is a difficulty swallowing for a couple days. To me it felt like I had to work to swallow... no choking though... Good luck in your journey.

• Thanks y'all. Panic becoming less... :SS

I can handle sore throat feeling and hard to swallow, etc. I am expecting that from all I've read from this site, Such a good site!! :D
  • How ya doing since your ACDF surgery last week? If there's another post about it, let me know and I'll go to it!
  • Hi Kimber. I had this same surgery last Wednesday. To be honest my biggest fear was choking, too! To my happy surprise I have not choked at all or even come close. I do find I have to swallow smaller amounts, even of water but that's to make throat hurt less. As others have said even the sore throat was less than expected. I got throat spray and lozenges ahead of time but have not used either. Everyone is different of course, but I think you can safely try to put aside the fear of choking. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

• Thanks for asking... I have good days and bas...Mostly good...all nerve pain gone...just dealing with the pain from the surgery... good luck... I am really glad I did it.

• I had the surgery a month ago tomorrow. Just cut up small pieces or I just ate a lot of yogurt, ice cream, oatmeal, soup, jello and pudding. I ate solids the second day and you really just have to wash it down well with a liquid. It not bad at all. ALSO BUY COUGH DROPS AND SODA! It does wonders for your throat. That isn't even as bad as I thought it would be. For me it was nothing and soon the worst will be behind you. The worst was waiting to have the surgery. That was my biggest nightmare.

Good Luck! You'll do great!

• After my first ACDF I had to eat the soft food like everyone else for a week or so. Then, after my second ACDF, I couldn't swallow anything soft at all! I had to eat crunchy food like corn chips and such...it was so strange.

Just be prepared for anything. I choked when I was a kid too and was terrified of the surgery in that aspect. It wasn't anything like I expected. You'll have more issues to worry about than food LOL!

Good luck with your surgery.

• Thanks y'all.
    I have applesauce, jello, pudding (choc.& van), etc. stocked at this point, oatmeal too. Waiting on cold stuff till I sched. surgery.

I really feel much less panicky!! :D Willing to proceed with the idea of surgery again!!

Like Griff said, I'm sure I'll have much more to worry about, like "who's going to feed the dogs and do the laundry" LOL :| And how to take a shower, etc!! :?

Take care all!!