Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 Months Post-op S1- L5 Spinal Fusion...hardware removal

crashhccrashh Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
At my 3 month post-op with my surgeon he spoke of possibly having to remove the hard due to the increased pain I am having in my lower back. I am coming up on 5months post-op and the pain is worse. I have been in PT since march 09 and today they told me they were going to stop seeing me since I am in so much pain and restart PT after the hardware is removed. Of course I do not want to have another surgery but I will do what I need to do. My main question is, is it possible that I hurt myself again? or is it the hardware that is giving me problems. Is it possible to have the hardware removed 6 months post-op Spinal Fusion. We did xrays and the bone is growing back very very fast. The Reflex Extension Tests will be done in 4 weeks but I am not sure what that consists of. I think it is just a certain type of Xray.
I look forward to all of your input.
thanks, crashh

• I don't know about you specifically, but my hardware was loose and too big. Mine was removed in 2 different operations because I was not(still not totally) fused. Just wanted to let you know that hardware removal is a piece of cake after fusion! I had an overnight hospital stay, that's it. After 2nd one, I got off OR cart in my room and walked to bathroom and then to bed. I got to my hospital room about 6pm and at midnight, I was ready to go home. My doc usually only has his patients off work for 3 weeks after hardware removal.

I don't know if your hardware is causing your pain, just wanted to chime in and let you know that the surgery is not even close to what fusion surgery feels like!

Good luck, keep us posted.
  • I am so confused, sorry! Did you have a fusion or just a discectomy? I thought I saw you post about just a discectomy but maybe not you or maybe way earlier????
  • I too am looking at hardware removal -

My NS gave me Voltaren Gel to rub on my scar site - to see if it took away the back pain. It's an anti-inflammatory.

From what I understand, if the gel works, then the hardware must be creating inflammation that can possibly be solved by removing it.

See if you can try it - best of luck

• crashh said:
    My main question is, is it possible that I hurt myself again? or is it the hardware that is giving me problems. Is it possible to have the hardware removed 6 months post-op Spinal Fusion. We did xrays and the bone is growing back very very fast.
    I too am 6months post-op L5/S1 fusion and have just had a hardware block to determine if the hardware is the cause of my pain. The injection gave me tremendous relief from the muscle fatigue and pain. I had another source of pain below the injection site that was unaffected. I am going to ask the NS if the "other" pain could be SI joint pain. My 6 month CT scan showed that I am fusing well and there was significantly more bone growth between 3 and 6 months. The NS said that one side of my hardware could be safely removed at this stage but not both because the fusion needs to be solid to remove all the hardware. My thoughts for you are the following.
    1.I would find out if you are solidly fused before taking out the hardware - 6 months is very early.
    2.What kind of diagnostic tests does your doc do to determine "hardware pain"? While I doubt a hardware block is fool proof, it does seem to be the most significant diagnostic tool.
    3.Can you tell exactly where the pain is coming from? SI joint could be a culprit.
    Good luck and I hope you post the outcome if you have your hardware removed. It is such a tough decision.