Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can I avoid surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi.I am 43. Had back pain for last 10 years. After diagnostics they found L5-S1 herniated disk (9mm). I don't want to have surgery at all. And I found special rehab excersises, that promised to help me, they are not expensive - may ask advise to rate this http://www.piluiko.com/eng/gimnast.php#video

• I would suggest that you talk it over with your Dr. He is certainly one who knows what you can handle.

I know for myself - that I do have some simple exercises that are just basic yoga, pilates movements. Nothing forceful or rapid, just slow movement and stretching. Even when I am hurting quite bad, I try to do my exercises as it does help to keep moving and not have the muscles freeze up.

I hope your feeling better
  • Welcome (unfortunately) to spine health. If you havn't had a good look around the site yet I would strongly reccomend you do that in preparation for meeting doctors and understanding what is going on (see my experience).

I did a write up recently http://www.spine-health.com/forum/good-news/disk-herniation-conservative-non-surgery-and-improving of my experience to date. Whatever you do the herniation has to close and don't panic with all teh surgery postings. I was at the Bookshop today looking for a book by teh Physiotherapist (in US Physical Therapist) Treat Your Own Back by Robin A. McKenzie (which is out of stock in a lot of Europe) and the shop assitant said you want this book 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain by Robin A. McKenzie as it cahnged my life. I had surgery 2 years ago and whenever get problems refer back to the book. (Incidentally I have no relationship or comission arrangements :) ). I thought it was good to put down as forums often contain a lot of the serious longer term cases and those with sucess move on so can leave you with a bad impression.

Hope you pain is being managed and know you will find a lot of people on this site that understand pain and can offer you advice and support

Good luck and best wishes
  • Hi Paul, talk it over with your surgeon. The real benefit of surgery is quick relief. If your symptoms are tolerable, and you are not having any weakness or problems with your bowels or bladder, you can certainly postpone your surgery.

Eventually, the disc will heal and the symptoms will resolve, but it may take a few years.The McKenzie Program and other exercises can help manage the symptoms along the way.

As long as you can live your life, and do the things you like, surgery can wait. If you get impatient or aggravated with the progress, you can always do surgery later.

Good Luck
  • REST!!! Don't work, even while on pain pills.

- Find a Physcial Therapist who is passionate.
    They need to measure your flexibility before doing any exercises and keep track of it. Flexibilty comes before strength/core training or more injury can happen

- Body/Bio mechanics
    Sometimes we forget how to use our bodies mechanically correct and promote injury and pain to our discs. Stretching comes first before strenthg trainig and nothing that hurts the back. Ask friends and try out a few PTs before you find that super passonate one.

Chiropractors can be good, but again what's the use if you're not flexible and using your body corretly. They can fix you and you can go on slumping, bending...using wrong posture and it's all for nought.

- How do I know all this???
    First hand knowledge! I"m a post micro-disc patient and after surgery found an amazing passionate PT and realized if I had found her first I may have been able to prevent surgery instead of just taking pain meds, masking the pain, continuing to work (rather then rest) and continuing the compound the injury and not allowing it rest and be healed.

Rest includes NO CHORES, no driving (learn to put your pride away and ask others to drive you or pick up things for you at the store), no work or serverly reduce work load. You say how can I not work?? Well then you won't get well or possibly worse like I did and that was like an engraved invitation for surgery....

You won't be able to work after surgery...so not much difference there!

Best regards!!
  • Hi Paul, Ask your doctor if you can do aqua therapy first. I have done that several times and it has helped me. As for the link you provided I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole with out talking to my surgeon or family doctor.

Before I had my back operation I hesitated and tried everything in the book to feel better, finally agreed to the surgery. My surgeon said it takes pain to get rid of pain. If your back muscles are in good shape before surgery then that will help you improve quicker. What kind of surgery do you need?
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.