Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Congratulation to those born Early 70’s or before

Terry01TTerry01 Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lighten and Brighten
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because...... WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY, no video/dvd films, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

FOOTBALL and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

:? If printing this make it big type because your eyes are not too good at your age anymore.

• Thank you, I couldn't put it better myself, of course you left out the sex, drugs, and rock n roll. I was just laying here thinking about all the crap I have been through in my life, and I would go through it all again, if the pain would just go away.
  • Loved it Terry, thank you for the laughs, LOL.

• How things have changed! I went trick or treating dressed up as one of the KISS band members (not Gene Simmons!)and a man asked me what was I, and I said I don't know. I was only 6 years old. On top of that, I went around the neighborhood at night all by my little old self. I don't even let my teenage son do that.

As far as gaming systems, I had the first Atari when it came out as well as the giant VCR that looked like a tape recorder. The remote was attached to the tv by a cord.

If you were a kid and cut up in public, nobody would raise an eyebrow if you got spanked. If any teacher tried to smack me, they'd better run fast because my mom wouldn't have it.

Ladies, remember those Playtex commercials with women in white dresses played tennis and were perpetually smiling?

Back in the day, Donahue was king and the only one with a talk show. I also remember watching Princess Diana's wedding all day long broadcasted live on tv.

I can reminisce all day long, but I'll cut it short for now. Thanks Terri, this is a fun post =D>
  • Thanks for the memories!

My brother and I dug our own worms for bait and went fishing for hours and no one worried about us. We would ride our bikes everywhere and they weren't some fancy mountain bikes, either. Clothes from Sears were just fine. Nuns threw chalk covered erasers at our heads and rapped our knuckles with rulers. My parents told the school not to use corporal punishment on us, that THEY would come to the school and paddle us themselves in front of the school. We were also given a list of chores on the fridge every day that had to be done and we didn't expect an allowance.

And of course, all of us before 1971 have the smallpox vaccination scar! (Bit of trivia-Arnold in Total Recall is set in the future but his smallpox vaccination scar is on his arm if you look closely.)
  • Now I am showing my age. But in the day we also walked or biked to school. Remember the walks 5 miles up hill both ways...jk. Libraries were we had to go actually look up references and site them on papers. No copy, paste and edit. If you were lucky enough had a set of britanna encyclopedias displayed in the home. Saturday morning was for chores and then play afterwards. Garbage was for finding things to make your fort out of. Sunday lunch was called dinner and evening was super. Neighborhoods had swimming pools not one in every yard. The corner market had gum for a penny and quarter bought a lot of candy. Soda(pop) was a treat and not a staple. The Tv was in the family room and not in every room and only had 6 channels.

Now the paddling at school my parents said go ahead my kids probably did it. If they were in the room they were involved by association. Switches came off the whipper willow at your picking. Grounding met you stayed home in your room per the time given.
    Grass cutting and baby setting were ways to make money, so you could pay for the gas you were going to use once you got a permit. Parents didn't have a debit card to hand us. You actually learned how to change a flat tire before you got your permit. Allowance was 50% for yourself and 50% to the bank.
    After school snacks were home made cookies, cakes and pastries or home made popsicles and fresh fruit. Everyone in the neighborhood knew each other, and who mom cooked the best.

well i could go on, but i am amazed I am here to tell the story still. How did we survive such brutality. jk Thanks terry good post.
  • Yeah, Tam, remember using the card catalog in the library? Also, who else had to diagram sentences? Kids these days cannot even speak in a complete sentence.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    So many of the things you listed were so true back then and today they dont exist. Why? There are too many reasons that changed the way people started to become accountable for their actions.
    I dont know where it went, how it went or what time it went, it just went away.

Each item you posted made me smile, because I can think back and remember exactly how things were.

I am not saying we were better overall then, or now, my only feeling is that people in general have lost the meaning of being responsible for their actions.

But Terry, you gave me a lot of cheer and memories regarding your post...

Thank you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yes!!!! I lived in the country, and we were outside all day, roaming the fields, either walking, on our bikes, or on snowmobiles or skis in the winter!!! The only thing we had to worry about was getting yelled at by dad, if we ran out of gas on the sleds somewhere in the back 40!! But he made sure my sister and I knew how to fix them, if we broke down, as well as the car, when we were old enough to drive!! And yes, best be home for dinner, then by dusk after!! When we were sent to our rooms, there were no TVs or game consoles, and were lucky if mom didn't remember that we had tape players!!! And, if she just wanted to get rid of us, she'd throw on one of her Kenny Rogers records and we'd all scramble for the hills, LOL (no offense to any fans out there, I can sing along to every Kenny song out there =)) )
    We only had 2 channels for tv, 3 depending on the weather, and were on a party phone line!!
    Living out in farm land, we weren't latch key kids after my mom went back to work, as we didn't have to lock the door. Now, my mom has all her doors locked, and an alarm system, at the farm house, can you imagine...
    I remember when we moved there, I was 6 (late 70s) and all the neighbour ladies came with baked goodies and casseroles to welcome us. I've lived in my house for a year now, and only know who 1 neighbour is!!
    I miss the innocence and feeling of community of those days, but then again, I wouldn't be here enjoying reading all these posts, if it was all the same as back then!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I remeber playing in the full moonlight, till 1 or so. Riding the old 10 speed to the next town over, just to ride down a hill, fergit bout the ride back up... smelling the sweetgrass as the farmers cleared the fields buy burning it. sleeping with the windows open and doors unlocked, friends coming over in the midnight hour coz the moon was just too bright to sleep1
    kissing you first girlfriend was the furthest ya got to go till at least 6 months in, but holding hands was wonderfull, sitting side by side as the sun set, then, bragging on how the car you gonna drive is gonna have a 427 and a 4 speed and would beat all comers,then realizing the summer job will only let you get the olds with the bondo... bummer.

But.. then your gal always was ready to ride with ya to the sonic for the cherry lime slush, and the resulting agony of BRAINFREEEZZZE! yup, as you do.
    the 8 track playing some quiet music.
    then your 17, and ya go cruizing and no one pulls a gun on ya, or tries to sell ya crack
    yup, good days no?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health