Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Workmens Comp Doctor? NEED ADVICE

spssp Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have been off work since January 09 due to a back injury at work. I had a disctomey in February 09. Went to see surgeon because I still have horrible pain in back, butt, down right leg and leg and foot are still numb. The surgeon has scheduled me for 3 epidural injections, he also mentioned fusion surgery. After I called Workers comp to get approval for injections I got a letter in the mail from Workers comp that they want me to see a doctor they picked. I have never been through this process with Workers comp and am wondering if this is normal. Can anyone give me any advice on this because I am nervous about this WC doctor visit? Any info would be appreciated.

L4L5 discometry 7/05 left side, complete success
L5/S1 discometry 2/09 right side, no pain relief at all

• Sounds to me is if they are sending you for a IME(independent medical exam). I take it you live in a state where you have been able to pick your own doctors? Look at your state's website and find the laws regarding this. Some states they cannot use their doctors, but you may be required to seek several more opinions. If it is IME just be your self and tell the doctor the issues you are having. Keep in mind that the only thing they are concerned with is the injury related to your employment. For example if your wrist hurts as well, that is of not important to that doctor. Write down all the pain you are having and where it is. You may also want to write down everything in your life it is effecting as well and how. Sometimes when you go to these doctors it is hard on the spot to remember everything and keep the meeting on track as your back is the issue. If it is a IME also make sure all your records are there. Work comp will say they will take care of it but more times than not I have seen the most important things missing. So since it is your back and you have to live with it, I strongly urge you to make sure all the proper information is there and available to the doctor so the assessment will be correct. Not always is it a problem but far to many times it happens. Good luck and I like I say just be honest and comply with all the doctors request and you should be fine. Let us know how it works out.
  • tamtam, Thank you so much for this information, it is an independent doctor. I am so relieved after your reply. And all the information you have given me is just what I needed. Can't thank you enough.
  • SP,

1st and foremost, I am so sorry for the physical pain you are going through. I know how disapointing it is to have surgery and still have pain.

TamTam gave excellent advise. I have been to 3 diff IME prior to my three surgeries and it is CRUCIAL that they have all the xrays, MRI, reports. I always bring them myself because it is stressfull to have to see yet another neurosurgeon with another opinion.

DO you have a good WC attorney? I tried to do it all myself and was so stressed out it just made my pain worse. I finally did get one and he is awesome. He has taken so much of the stress off and I hope you protect your best interests and get one. There are alot of legal issues and forms that I would NEVER have known about. The attorneys usually charge 20% of any total disability settlement you receive. Dont forget there is mileage you can recoup also (to and from PT, MD appts,etc)

I know from my own personal experience Workers comp goals are to get you back to work asap so that they dont have to pay. Dont be rushed back too soon, and remember you Have to look out for yourself because no Insurance company will.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

• Diane, Thanks for the help and support. You are right about TamTam her advice was great. I do not have a lawler. I thought and am hoping that I will get better and be able to go back to work. I love my job. Thanks again for the info, I'll keep you posted.