Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Glass - Is it half full or half empty?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Matters of the Heart
I think that we all need to read that subject line and see where we fit in dealing with different situations.
I believe that the mind set of seeing this as half full is what is necessary to combat chronic pain.
If we take the other approach and give up, then chronic pain will win every time.
We want to be the winners, those that come up on top
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I second that motion!!! I try to remember what I can do now and forget about what I used to do.

Best to all,

• How appropriate-had 3 level ESI's 2 days ago. Expected to get about 3 hours full pain relief. Sorry to say lowest level couldn't be found and about an hours relief at the upper. Now I'm trying to be grateful for that hour and the better movement in my left arm. Shall work on viewing the glass as half full and enjoy- Hugs n' Loves -Paula
  • Having dealt with one form of pain or another most of my life, I decided early on that I was not defined by my sometimes strange medical problems or the pain they have caused me. I am not my "pain", I am a "person" and one who considers her cup FULL. :D

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • In every situation in life I find a positive. Sometimes that is all you have left to hold on and keep going. The other day I was at the home with my mom and their was another alzheimers patient who was screaming and yelling. While that disease is brutal i sat back and said self you really been lucky in this process as mom was nowhere near that level ever and won't get there.

When it comes to the chronic pain I try to never focus on what I can't do any longer. I further don't put myself in a position to slap me in the face either. What is done is done and there is no going back. Finding the happy medium is the issue somedays. I really believe for your glass to be half fill, you have to like yourself, and not be who someone wants you to be. In the life of chronic pain sure there is ups and downs, but not letting the downs kick you to hard is the key, in my opinion. Heck it could always be worse than it is. I'm still here to tell the story.
  • keeping my glass half full is a daily attempt.. :? i try and stay happy and make others happy as well. only by putting good deeds and thoughts into our glasses can we hope for a successful life.. :D i consider SH to be a big part of my glass, as well as my family and my dog, Sirius. my heart goes in there as well. :X i hope everyone is blessed with a glass half full! :D Jenny
  • Hello,
    I always find it fascinating that even with a positive attitude the core origin of the pain is always at the same, it is that we have learned to opaque the trauma of it all to a manageable sphere, blinkered from oneself. Acting normally while living a painful existence is the hardest thing, but do it we must or as Dilauro said, we will falter. Time has taught me serenity, and rather than my newbie scatter gun approach, my new laser is more refined and targeted, I still have that rage of incredulity and never give up attitude. It is battered and bruised from survival rooted in strong foundation, love and support.

For the most part we do things in certain ways until we know better and pain is no exception, we all have success and failure, and become driven, time has helped me develop tools and techniques and for the most part I can see when things are not going well and the emergency strategy needs to be started once more. I have been fortunate to be able to see the positive even in failure and disappointment, I have not done this alone I have had clear concise guidance and support. This topic is perhaps the biggest in surviving pain for my two decades, I have made lists and constant new ideas, been assertive with that little voice in my head as to who was boss, I have won more than I lost and I knew when to let go, and let the voice think it had won.

My PM team have been ever supportive, I questioned them and the provision of my needs, I learned to be assertive and not too angry, reasonable to myself and others. As some may know my son has two false legs and in his name I will stand strong, others are worse and I know that and have experience of it. Living in the pain is not living at all, many here give kind thoughts and words while in need themselves and no greater gift can be given, to help another.

Being positive and realistic is only a slight change and if we can survive pain every day and most here do, then an improved attitude is always possible, we need to take some responsibility. Within this site in the optimum opportunity for improvement written on these pages, it is not magic, a collective history of improving technique and how to cope in the long term.

We are role models for each other, we have walked that walk, if as Sternbach once said you make pain a career, then downwards is the only place, that element be it 1% or 20% that is positive can be improved, we are the encouragers of our destiny.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Great post John! Thank you for the link as well. I found this article on that site helpful as well. We used these techniques at the adolescent mental health hospital I worked at before my disability.

Best wishes to all,

• My glass always used to be full to overflowing, whatever the situation, but right now I can't even find the flipping thing!!

• You can always borrow my glass if you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't mind sharing with a friend......let me know if there is anything that I can do.....take care....Miki
  • First off, it's not whether the glass is half full or half empty, it's what the glass contains that's most important! :))( (Guinness for me please...)

It is interesting how my perspective changes, sometimes daily as to the half full or half empty feeling. It really does change frequently for me .
  • Depends on how thirsty you are.

When you are extremely thirsty, it's half empty.

When you are satiated, it's half full.

I've always found that my view on life is directly proportionate to the mood I am in. When I am happy, then everything is wonderful.

HOWEVER, when it comes to my pain... it's a whole different bowl of wax. Or is it ball of wax?

How I DEAL with my pain is very much affected by my mood. When I am happy, I can brush it off sometimes. When I am "crabby" (sorry TamTam!) my pain just compounds it.

Regardless, it's always good to have a plan when things get you down. Deep breathing; music; aromatherapy... whatever that may be.

• My glass runneth over, when ive drunk my fill is when i look through the residual junk left in the bottom, did i fill it with bitter,stuff so many times that it stains the bottom when I reach it?
    Or can I still see through the bottom and see light from the other side.
    and most importantly,
    have I had so much of life that Ime no longer thirsty for it?
    some of us drown in bitter sorrow
    others dont
    but what matters most is that your still drinking...no?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I saw a sign the other day that said, "Count your blessings, not your troubles". I've had this thought in my mind ever since. No matter how bad my pain is, or my mood for that matter, my blessings always number more. I just need to keep reminding myself of that because I do forget it at times. You're right, it's really all in how you look at it isn't it? :?

• Every day,sometimes often during the day or night, I think of all the many blessings I have to be thankful for and list them mentally and I smile. Often I mention them to others, the good things in life, and how it can always be worse when you look around, then they understand my attitude.

Although, sometimes it is hard when I see friends look at me with that look of, "she'll never be the same" or " she can't do this or that" so I look at them and admit it to them and then tell them what I can do that I couldn't do before or how lucky I am compare to others and then we just move on to something that makes us laugh and smile as usual.

I will always look back and miss my old self, I can't help it. However, I am thankful for today and the life I have left to live with my family and friends. Thanks to all of my friends here that always help me keep my glass full! Fill it up, please!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    FILL it UP!
    You have the right idea on how to always move ahead.
    Good for you!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm glad I made you smile as you are always here to support us at SH daily! I hope your cup is full this week too!

Have a great day!
  • I know some find the positive word difficult and living a half empty life makes it more difficult than it need be, we are all entitled to feel sad how our situation has transpired and for me this should be just a phase, not a lifelong strategy, who would not look back at another life gone, all that hope and expectation obliterated through pain.

Complaining never changed anything in the longer term and using too sad analogies elicits encouragement to be that person, sad has to have a shelf life if we are to survive the future, in reality my pain has never changed, how I now feel about it has dramatically I can work along side it, let it think it is winning and tell myself never to give up.

I never admit to the things I cannot do, even to myself and never to others it only gives them the perceived ammunition to enhance the misconceptions they have, they only know what I tell them, I choose who that is with great care and have told the wrong type of person who then used it against me to score basic points, it is they who are sad as anyone with any gumption would not want to live this life for a day let alone a lifetime.

We need to use that half full attitude on every element that supports our chronic pain and it is impossible to keep two elements going at once we need to deal with the one that is most prominent at any given time and work to polish that until we are satisfied we can cope in that sphere and move onto the next. I have come across negative individuals and it is generally not them that are the problem, they have been encouraged to be that person, my relative sees the negativity in everything even the good things, seeing the positive in a learning process.

The emphasis of PM was to identify the positives and use supportive and encouraging words and ignore the negatives, it was an interesting process to hear the language used and the response given on that basis. We can all go a long way with a better attitude and nobody wants doom and gloom all the time, especially those in pain themselves. It is a learning process and you have to be kind to yourself, it may well be a delusional existence a trick of the mind, the alternative is to suck enthusiasm out of life and not live it to your best as a consequence, pain is not easy why make it harder.

We should not regret what we have done, but what we have not.

Onward and upwards it’s only acting.

• I was in the waiting room at physio the other day, the only place that I can indulge in my "guilty pleasure" - reading the latest People edition :))(
    There was a story of a man, who had just had two hand transplants. He lost his hands due to a strep A infection. 2 1/2 years ago, I ended up in ICU in septic shock, as it turns out, from a strep a infection. I was at the point that they had to call my mom, as they didn't know if I was going to make it through the night, or even the next day. I made it. And with both my hands. My glass is full.
    I think daily, of my friends, who were killed or injured in action overseas, some of whom have lost their feet, legs, arms, hands, or chunks of their bodies, or their lives. I made it through 3 tours. And with my hands, legs, feet, arms and life. My glass is full.
    I have a job, guaranteed employment, at least for the next couple of years until my medical release goes through. Some days I make it, some days I don't. But my glass is full.
    I have a roof over my head, and a loving boyfriend who cares for me. My glass is full.
    I live in pain daily, and can't do the things that I once could do. Some days are worse than others, but I make it through. My glass is full.
    On the days where the glass looks like there's a leak in it, or somebody's been sneaking sips, I think of all of these things, and it refills. Then my glass is once again full.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • The Sultan saw a sign and summoned his Soothsayer. The Soothsayer told the Sultan that this was a terrible sign! His Excellency will live a long but horrible life seeing xxx of his relatives die a terrible death. The Sultan was displeased and ordered: "off with his head".

The Sultan summoned the next Soothsayer. The wiser Soothsayer entered the room and told the Sultan this sign is great news! His Excellency will live a long life and outlive xxx of his relatives as they die and wither. The Sultan was very pleased and ordered: "Reward the Soothsayer".

How we interpret news is very much a glass half full and hopefully we do not lose our head!