Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member facing a lumbar fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
I am facing an upcoming lumbar fusion on L5S1 and possibly L4-5. My surgeon has told me what kind of pain to expect and suggested that I research and learn as much as I can about the procedure. He also told me to compile a list of any questions I have. I have suffered from post laminectomy changes and epidural fibrosis since 2002, 1 year after my initial surgery. I have been reading some of the posts and now realize how much I don't know about this procedure. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. questions are definitely the way to go.. =D> look through the information here on the forum about the procedure. :? you can also get ideas by going to the "Back and Neck" Surgery forum!! =D> good luck and keep your questions coming!! :D Jenny :)
  • Ditto on Jenny's post above, but also do come into our chat room (usually a number of people there in the afternoons and evenings). Talking to others helps as well. Come in to introduce yourself, chat or just read. Hope to see you there!

Best wishes to you,

• You maight want to post your questions and concerns in the "Back and Neck Surgeries" section under TREATMENTS. There you will find many kindred spirits who have had fusion or are facing it in the near future.

I do recommend reading and becoming acquainted with the procedure you'll be having. This way you can communicate better with your doctor and understand what he is doing and the reasons for it.

Also, it is important to know that this is not a quick fix. Recovery is long and in most cases requires patience. Often you will make some progress only to take a step or two back.

After the surgery it will be very important that you walk several times each day. Distance is not as important as trying to do it several times each day. At first I timed my walks to when I needed to use the bathroom. Otherwise I stayed in bed. I moved a twin bed into the den so I could keep track of my two big dogs during the day while my husband was at work. When I was not walking or eating, I stayed in bed.

You will have sitting time limits in the beginning and it is important to follow those rules, too.

Take a look at the "stickie" post at the top of the "Back and Neck Surgeries" category entitled "Post-Surgery Must-Haves." It is a very complete list of things that you might want to have available to you. It gives you tips on setting up your house so that you can avoid bending or reaching after surgery...and things that will make you more comfortable. Many of the items are not necessities...but it does get you thinking along those lines.

To me, my three most important items were a raised toilet seat, a grabber and satin sheets...well, bottom sheet. It is so difficult to reposition yourself after surgery that with a cotton sheet you feel like you are stuck to the bed with velcro! Satin pjs also work, but I liked to wear loose fitting lounge or work-out clothes -- elastic waist pants and a big Tee shirt. I could sleep in them, but I also looked "dressed" in case I had unexpected visitors. A shower chair is nice too as you will be very tired after surgery. By the time I showered, dressed and fixed my hair I was ready to crawl back into bed.

Welcome and come often with your questions, comments, or just to hang out.

xx Gwennie