Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
Hi Ron!
Just an FYI, it seems like the last couple days we've seen some real performance problems all of a sudden. When I post it takes nearly 30 seconds of my browser waiting after I hit "post". I don't think it's the "normal" known questionable Drupal performance.

Thanks for helping with super glue & duct tape sometimes to keep things running! You-da-man!

• that in my house it was just the web site that was experiencing performance problems :))(
  • =)) Pete ROFL =))

PapaRon, I noticed this too.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    But what is most frustrating is when I talk to the developers and support people, they are looking at the performance numbers and things look great.
    I've spent way too many years with IBM chasing down performance problems and I understand unless you can catch it while its happening, its hard to troubleshoot.
    Unless there is something really glaring staring them in the face.
    My posts are take 20-30 seconds to happen. I first started seeing this about 2 weeks ago, stopped for a while and was back again.
    Best I can ask from all of yuo, is to record the times you saw the bad response, what you were doing and if you could record the wall clock time after pressing a button until the action was completed.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Whew, at least it's not me!! Thanks for stepping forward and joining me in the "poor performance" post Pete & Cathie!! =)) =))
  • My mind wants to perform but my back says no way! :''( Spineys need love too!
  • my computer geek over. he diagnosed problem as severe lack of R A M ......
  • Ron when you say that your posts are taking 20-30 seconds, that seems to be the norm right now any time I submit a post. Even early in the morning when there aren't many users accessing the site.

Interestingly enough, this post didn't take nearly as long for the system to accept it.. go figure! lol
  • =)) You're too much :))(
    Jay, my response time is back to where it was before. More than adequate.
    What are you seeing today?

Pete, the extra RAM will help your machine and its overall speed, but adding tons of RAM would not fix a problem that the culpruit was the network.

From the information I have gathered, these performance 'spikes' seem to come and go every so often.

Causes for these spikes:

1- Additional stress load, more members at one time
    2- Changes to the System
    3- Changes made to the Servers and Network configs
    4- Lack of a better term - Total Internet slowdown

#1 can and will happen from time to time. Most system performance tuners will take a few numbers in terms of system load. Minimum amount of users,
    Average number of users, Maximum number of users.
    The analyst try to go for the average number and apply a 10-15% upward delta. Max numbers are rarely ever hit and the costs to provide the optimum performance in those situations are difficult to justify.

#2 Drupal system changes, tweaks, etc. No question, no matter how simple or innocent a change may be, it can have repercussions down the line. You try to test all variations of a change. Many times those tests are all ok, because they are done in a limited system load. But once you get a real load of users, problems could crop up.

#3 This one is in ways is out of direct Spine-Health control. SH has a server site that manages the total configuration including the network. Many times the SH member community cant get to the site or having problems, while the actual server is up and running. However, its the network configuration that is down or bottled up that is causing the problem. In any case, the steps to fixing this is First identifying a problem, Second - Isolating and , Third contacting the correct people to place a call to the server home site and Fourth , The server site correcting the problem. All of this can cause down time. About the only true way out of this is to manage and control 100% of the resources. There are not many companies that can afford to do that in todays market.
    Before I left IBM, my data center and its structure
    was totally in our control. I managed it, so if something went wrong, it was my team and myself to fix it. That I did like.

#4 There are some days where almost everything in the Internet is slow. IP routing, DNS setups and much more than I care to get into (but I know Jay and I would love to talk about it) play key roles.
    For example of there was a critical single point of failure let say in one of the Chicago Servers., then people west of Chicago might be doing fine, but those East of Chicago would see all sorts of problems. Know this is over simplified, but redundancy and backups and so much more are built into all the key networks.

Still, what really counts??????

How do you as a Spine-Health Member see things?
    Fast or Slow??

All what I talked about above is nice, but really do you care? No, you shouldnt need to even worry about it.
  • I thought we were having a bit of fun with double entendres. See where my mind is at? It's been too long.. :D
    If we can have fun from every post and look at things on the bright side, then why look ?
    I re-read my post and now with a different 'twist' to it, I kinda of laughed myself..... Not too bad..
    Now, which one was the real meaning??
  • Ron,
    My performance has returned to normal too! Woo hoo!