Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery After Surgery/Numbness

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My fiance recently had to have three surgeries to take out a herniated disk at her T7-T8 Vertebrae. After the first (unsuccessful) surgery she went numb from the chest down, and lost a lot of movement. Fortunately the 2nd surgery they got the disc out with a lami/discetomy. The third surgery they fused the area together.

It's only been a month out, and she is walking again albeit with a walker. She still is numb from the waist down though. Yesterday, however, she had these bad spasms down her body, she said they were so bad they knocked the wind out of her. But than today she said she could feel a little bit in her left foot.

- Are the spasms she is having a sign the nerves are waking up?
- Can we assume that if the foot is becoming unnumb other parts will follow?
- Will this numbness go away body part by body part or will one day she wake up and it's gone?
- Does numbness start to fix itself at the foot and work its way up?
- Is there anything you know of to help stimulate the nerves?

These are very uncertain times for us so thanks in advance for all your help.

• Wow - what a wringer! THREE surgeries for one issue - yikes!

I'm not dr. but my first impression is that if the nerves are working in the foot, then they are all connected and she should be getting feeling back.

I've had a numb leg for a year now - never have I had feeling come back in any of the numb parts. It seems a good sign to me.

I did have spasms post-op though - they eventually went away. My Dr.'s advice on them was to get walking - motion is the lotion -.

I WISH there were a way to stimulate nerves - I'll be watching this closely to see if anyone has any tips whatsoever on that one!

• I know, three surgeries were rough and I wasn't even the one having them. But she made it through it!

Thanks for telling about your experience it's always good to hear what others have gone through. Her doctors have been pretty quiet about what to expect, with there always seeming to be "it's too soon to tell". So it's nice to hear from people who have gone through this so we know a little of what to expect.

Hopefully we'll get a person with a good tip on how to stimulate the nerves