Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l3-4, l4-5 fusion resulting in RSD

tcr1130ttcr1130 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Pain Management

am looking to get information on Spinal Stimulators i am 4 months out since my fusion surgery, have been fighting with RSD since the surgery... i have had four nerve blocks and 1 with steroids ... the doctors are starting to talk to me about the trial and possible later surgery if trial is successful.....

For those that have had the stimulator done have you had it from a failed surgery, and has anyone else fought with RSD after there surgery.....

i dont know how long i should go with these nerve blocks before i say okay its time to do the trial.... i guess since my neurosurgeon and pain management doctor have brought it up, i guess it will be the topic of conversation at both of september appointments.....

i get nervous with all these surgeries and related scar tissue., between a hysterectomy, 2 level xlif, appendix ..... and now possibly the stimulator... doesnt all this cause scar tissue am i asking for other problems from all the scar tissue that will eventually form....

has the stimulator helped anyone with RSD, i am presumming there was a injury caused during the surgery and thats where this is coming from.. i think thats what the doctors are explaining anyway...

any info would be greatly appreciated..... i also requested a myelogram before they would ever consider surgery to make sure there is nothing else going on from the spinal area that could be causing all these problems in my foot.... doc says we will talk about all that, doesnt want to put me thru another myelogram .. but shouldnt we rule out nothing else with the spine is being compromised,,???

Thank You

• What kind of trial? Where are you located?
    I tried an Alpha-stim on the ears that MILDLY electrocuted my brain. Mainly targeting the hypothalamus. Would your stim shoot all the way up?
    My system didn't appreciate the shocks, and started
    messing with coordination.
    If a DOCTOR, or any clinician, even pokes you, RSD could happen. Sometimes, no reason at all. Usually from a treatment, though.
    It is hard to squeeze my hours of daily questions into 15 minutes a month with the doc.
    They may not like your notebook, but, you're not there for them. I cannot believe they don't research this like I do! My lumbar blocks made it spread.
    I wish you luck. Not a doc., just know my thing or three.
  • I know on here got RSD and her name is Baseball2005. So look her up. I told her to google RSD and she found a lot of information. I am sorry this happened to you. I got it after my knee surgery, but through a lot of alternative treatments I was able to beat it. Take care and keep searching.
  • starting the process for the spinal stimulator (trial), was told that insurance makes you have a one time visit with a pychiatrist before they will approve it... what is that one visit for?? what does that tell them ???

does anyone have a stimulator or gone thru the trial????
  • If you type SCS into the search box of Spine Health it will bring up many threads about the spinal stimulator. I have one and have had it for over 15 months. Mine is in my neck to control pain in my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. It does a nice job of adding to my entire pain management package.

I was told by one of my neurosurgeons that he thought I was developing RSD in my shoulders. I'm still not convinced of that but it was enough to get me to research it. As the others have already stated, there's a ton of information about RSD/CRPS on the Internet.

One thing I did discover in my research is that although a spinal stimulator is helpful with the pain from RSD, it has become ineffective for many after a short period of time. Just something to keep in mind.

The visit with the psychiatrist is required for everyone that is being considered for a spinal stimulator trial. It is normal and helps evaluate the patient to look for anything that might indicate the patient having difficulties dealing with a medical implant. They also want to make certain that the patient understands that an SCS doesn't take care of all the pain, just aids in pain management.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• i had my visit with the doctor, got my approval from her so its on to insurance now.,. they said that takes 4-6 weeks to get that process done.. it will be 5 weeks monday..

im going to go ahead with the trial, i have nothing to lose by trying the trial part of this.. i will need to ask more questions if it happens that this machine does help me .. then i need to know the pros and cons.. and side effects. etc etc

the rsd has been a little better with the last two lumbar shots i got, he did my shots a little higher in my back i think he said l2-3, my problems are l3-4 and l4-5 and the first one i got 5 weeks of semi relief from, he copied the shot in september and said he added a little more of each med into the injections.. so i am about 4 weeks so far, and the first week is always bad.. the symptoms actually get worse and my back gets worse too.. but the last three weeks have been okay.. i get days where i dont feel the hot and cold .. or its much more tolerable then it was before... some days arent so good... but some good days finally beat the months and months of bad days i was having....... i am hoping this shot lasts longer than 5 weeks.... we will see what happens

thanks for the info and listening!!!