Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi there...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone -

I'm pretty new to this pain thing. I had no idea how much it affects the rest of you life and functioning! I have gone from a very active and engaged phd student and dance teacher to a tearful lump on the couch over the past month or so, and I'm trying really hard to get my morale back up.

Compared to some of the things I've seen here, I guess I don't have that much to complain about - just one herniated disc, and I might even get away with not having surgery. But I've tried, with very limited success, a number of different pain medications and anti-inflammatories, and the pain and numbness are actually getting worse. I'm going in for an epidural cervical cortisone injection on Tuesday and I'm crossing all the digits I can, hoping that it's effective enough for me to start my life again.

I think I'm done complaining for right now :)
I'm looking forward to meeting you all and giving/getting support and information!

• So sorry to hear about your pain and distress at such a young age.

I presume that you are having your cortisone epidural shot at a pain management clinic and I wish you lots of luck with that. It may, but not necessarily, take three epidurals which is the maximum that you can have in any one year to be effective in your case. Cortisone shots can work wonders for some people and I hope that it does in your case. However you will need to be prepared for more should it be necessary.

You did not explain how you got a herniated disc and how it was discovered and diagnosed. Clearly if it occurred doing something that you want to return to, you may have to reconsider that activity.

I am sure that you will gets lots of support and good advice here and we look forward to you coming back to let us know how you did with your epidural.

Lots of Luck

John B
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. stop by anytime and vent or chat. :D that is one reason we are here. it takes time to adjust to a new lifestyle, let alone one with pain. ~X( good luck as you seek relief.. :D stop by anytime! Jenn :)
  • Hi Lizzielou,

I'm new here too and new to the whole 'pain changing my life thing', so I'm not as wise as most of the people around here, but i did want to let you know that I understand how difficult it is to have your life change so drastically, so quickly.

This site has been helping me so much, and I hope it continues to help you as well.

Sending 'good vibes' your way....:)