Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How much Celebrex?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Pain Medications
I just started taking Celebrex instead of Daypro (another NSAID) in preparation for an ESI on Tuesday - I guess most of the NSAIDs increase risk of bleeding during medical procedures, hence the switch.
Long story short: Celebrex does not seem to work for me. I am taking 200 mg once a day as prescribed, and yesterday and today I have felt worse than I did when I first injured myself. The doctor said I could double my dose tonight, so I guess I should just be patient and see if it works...
Anyway, for those of you who take Celebrex, how much do you take, and how long does it take before it starts working?

• Hi Liz,
    Early on I was given 200 mg celebrex twice a day. If i remember correctly it took about 2 weeks for me to see any difference. It doesn't work anymore for me. I will take naprosyn which is cheaper.
    Good Luck,Bethy
  • I was on 400mg per day, in two -200mg tabs. I found that it took a couple weeks to ramp up. Going off it, I found that it was having an analagesic effect.

I hope it works for you!
  • Hi Liz - I take 200 mg of Celebrex 2x per day. It helps me a great deal. I've run out of it a couple of times briefly, and these times have reinforced how much of a difference it makes for me. There was no ramp-up period for me - it helped from the outset. I have severe spondylolisthesis. Hope you get some relief soon.
  • Liz,

The PM folks are letting you continue using an NSAID prior to an ESI? They made me stop all NSAIDS 10 days prior to the injection - I could only use Tylonol. Good luck with the ESI hope it brings some lasting pain relief for you. I met someone last week that is working on two years of pain relief from an ESI that was administered for an L4 herniation. Atb, Mike
  • The cox 2 inhibitors don't have the same issues as typical NSAIDs.

• I have been on celebrex since it was released. I know it was in the 90's. I did have a ramp up period of about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. I love this drug and I know when I forget to take it. If I do not take my meds in the morning by time my evening meds roll around I can hardly move. I take 200 twice a day. I was put on this drug when released because the class of drug worked well for my OA but my stomach was in pain. I agreed to try this drug and never turned back. I never have to come off the drug for any of my 10 surgeries.
    I hope it works as well for you. Do watch to other side effects of this drug because it can be dangerous for some.