Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and confused. help....please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
An update....had to go to ER today...

gave me a big ole shot of freaking delada. Never been on that before. ALL MY PAIN WENT AWAY. It is now traveling down my left AND BEHIND leg and feels like stabbing in my left leg. I have this constant grimace on my face. Never required anything stronger that Loritab. (other than post-surgery and about a month pre). It seems that L-4 and L5 hardware looks "normal". How they can read this from an MRI beats me. Nerves don't show up on an mri. The E.R doc said NOW I HAVE mild to moderate stenosis and bone-on-bone in S-1 area now. Now in a whole new alphabet of my spine.!!!

L-3 shows sign of degenarative disk disease. Is this what you mean by DDD? I gave them my YTD AND MY MRI WAS FREE. They did financial counseling and my charge was only 5%. Thank God. Does anyone know what I can look for NOW WITH the bone-on-bone on S1? and ddd on L-3??? The ER surgeon didn't elaborate. MY PCP DR ISN'T OR 2 WEEKS.

BTW, I HAVE ONLY BEEN @ MY JOB for 5 months; i have called in 2 or 3 times missing up to 4 days of work @ a time, me and my heating pad w/back pain; I sit all day with ZERO brakes, bend, stoop, twist, etc. My boss today suggested fmla, but he is unaware ya have to be employed for a year. I figure (EVEN WITH A DR. STATEMENT) I WILL STILL GET WRITTEN UP... PLEASE EVERYBODY...CHIME IN...

What does the bone on bone mean with S1 and ddd in L3. What can i expect. I swear, it's like my left leg is doing EVERYTHING IT DID ON MY LEFT pre surgery.

Spinal fusion with cadiver bone 2 years ago. Pins, screws and titanium cage to keep disc from collasping. Chronic pain ever since, the pain just shifted after surgery. Steroids doesn't help; pain meds help me cope but havn't required anything strongr than loritab, celebrex, malican...

_____________ Any advice would be appreciated

• Hello Summer. I'm Cindy. Sorry I can't really help with low back issues, as I'm a head case, ha ha, or at least close to my head. My issues originate from my neck, but I feel the effects from my head to my toes.

I wanted to comment on a couple of things in your post. With today's technology it is amazing what can be seen on an mri, and it is likely that they can in fact see your nerves in some areas. Have you ever looked at your mri? they are really cool to look at, and usually the facility who does the testing can give you a CD with the imaging on it.

You also said you sit at your desk with zero breaks all day. Did you know that it is a law that employers give you a 15 minute break for every 4 hours you work, and also a lunch break is a requirement. They don't have to pay you during your lunch break, but they do have to give you one. If your boss is not allowing you to take breaks, this is a violation of labor laws and you should ask that he allow you to take a break. Have you ever tried those therawrap heat packs? They are amazing. I have worn those all day on multiple occasions and they do help.

I'm sure others will be along soon who can tell you more about low back stuff. Being a survivor of a previous fusion you are probably well educated already though.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Dilaudid is also my drug of choice when I have a serious flare up of pain.

What kind of work do you do? After my fusion to avoid any flare up, I carefully watch my body mechanics. I try to avoid all twisting and use my legs for any bending, not my back. Taking breaks is very important as well. You need frequent changes of position.

Do you have short-term disability insurance where you work? Sounds like you could use a short break from your job so that you can heal.

Best wishes to you,