Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feeling desperate

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi- Karen again,
I feel so desperate after another night of unrelenting pain.How embarrasing- I'm at the stage now that I cant make it to the toilet now (its 8 feet away from the bed)in the night- the pain is so bad that I'm too slow to get there on time.Been like this for a couple of weeks now (could well be longer- time seems to be merging!).In tears justnow- cant cope with it anymore. I so wish I could afford private haelth care............................

• Sorry for the tears. hang in there mama! is there a provider company or any systems in place that you can acess? through a local clinic?
    hang in there K?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• i know what you mean by pain and discomfort at night. i am in too much pain to get to toilet at night. i keep a urinal beside me so i dont have to get up....that helps but i'm a male and i dont know what women do for this situation...i hope someone can suggest a solution...
    have you gotten a diagnosis yet....
    do you have any insurance at all like from your state?
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry to hear of your pain. Don't be embarrassed. It's not your fault that you're in this situation. I hope that you find some way of getting the healthcare you need. I hope you have friends and family to help you out. How long have you been dealing with these issues? Are you taking anything for the pain?
  • thank you so much everyone for the kind words.I had an l5-s1 microdiscectomy for a large central bulge in May.I live in the UK so am treated by the nhs (I'm not knocking it-theyre fantastic, but trying to get the full range of tests/treatment is like banging your head against a brick wall -eg...1 1/2 years before I got an mri done).Getting a microdiscectomy done privately is around £4000 I think.The thing is we rely on the nhs so much over here, alot of us dont think about getting insurance before its too late!I get my meds for next to nothing (oxycontin/norm, fluoxitine,amitryptylene)so I'm really thankfull for that.I went back to my gp today in tears and practically begged her to write to my neurosurgeon again to tell him whats going on, so I'm a bit happier now.Thank you all again for your kind words- they help tremendously.
  • I'm sorry you are suffering this way and you've got nothing to feel bad about- my bathroom is a stone's throw away and I've had pee accidents before. The pain had been so bad that I don't want to get up, but when I did I wasn't able to hold on long. It sucks.

I'm glad they have you on Oxycontin and oxynorm. I'm in the US and I take the same meds and oxynorm is called oxycodone here. I hope that it gives you some relief.

I had the same surgery two years ago and never got better because I reherniated L4-5 1 month later. Later I had a 2 level fusion on L4-S1 and the surgeon fixed what he could, but unfortunately some of us continue to have chronic pain despite being operated on. In my case I had complications such as scar tissue growing on the nerve root and permanent nerve damage in one leg. I hope to have a pain pump implanted soon to help me function better.

Anyway, please let us know how you're doing and I hope that the pain gets under control. Take care >:D<
  • thanks Straker....love to you.....
    One question- does anyone know if loss of bladder control with cauda thingy(lol) syndrome can be progressive and without leg numbness as I can only 'hold on' for maybe a minute after I start 'needing to go'.Is this just urge incontinence (sorry about that) or should I be more worried? I have a feeling I have rehearniated and with my injury being a large cenral disc bulge at l5/s1 (I have read this is the one that can affect your cauda thingy (lol).I probably wont hear anything from my neurosurgeon for months, so this is why I have to keep an eye on things!
  • Adult diapers are a good thing. OR....many, many menstrual pads. Put a cheapo shower curtain liner under your sheets (not you...have someone else do it).

There are porta potties galore in the states at Goodwill stores. We can also rent them for $5 a month from Medical Supplies businesses.

Good sign that you got to your doc.

• Cauda Equina refers to the nerve bunch in the lower lumbar spine that looks like a horse's tail.

Cauda Equina Syndrome is something you should seek medical attention for sooner rather than later.

No comment on how healthcare is handled over there.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
This discussion has been closed.