Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally home after TLIF on L5/S1. How am I doing?

AceAAce Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First of all, thanks to the many members who really prepared me for the surgery. Certainly more than any surgeon did.

I had my surgery on 7/27 and got out of the hosp on 7/29. While in the hosp, like many others, I could not handle morphine 'cause it made me sick. I am now on Vicodin and Flexeril. Right now I am walking to the bathroom, taking a couple of shorter walks in the house and then a couple of longer walks basically out to our mailbox and back. Having a lot of crampiness in my hamstrings and butt. Basically once I get moving, it goes away a little but I am really ready to sit when the walk is done. I am using heat and ice packs off and on. I have little or no pain while walking steps.

One hurdle I am having is the constipation. Wife is going to CVS for an enema soon.

Since I had spondy for so long, NS said he would only try to move it back "as much as my anatomy would allow". So my spondy is still there, but now with a new disk in place, Pre-surgery pain not there now. He said that he got a good look at the nerve roots and cleaned everything out pretty well.

The pain level has been pretty much what I expected thanks to the spineys here. Thanks to you all. Now I just have to be patient not rush the rehab.

• i'm glad you had such positive results.
    it's truly amazing what drs can do now.
    as for constipation a good stool softener might help
    good luck....pete
  • Have been using the stool softener, but no luck so far. So more drastic measures may be necessary. Why do BMs become so much more important to us as we grow older?!?
  • what goes up comes down,...what goes in comes out....at least it better... :-C :-C
  • :H Glad to hear you are resting comfortably after your surgery. I wish you a positive, healing recovery period with low pain levels. O:)

I'm sure one of the over the counter laxatives will fix you up in no time -- that ought to put a "Spring" in your step (LOL)!

Take care,

• It sounds like you're doing pretty well and getting around as expected early in the recovery. Just take it one day at a time and don't overdo it. Do not fall down and don't get stranded anywhere because of the pain. You may have pain flares which are common and it's part of the ups and downs you'll experience with back surgery. Always call your doctor if the pain worsens and doesn't respond to any meds. Well, I hope you recover completely and go on to lead a normal life. Take care