Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scar from L5-S1 fusion ....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Can anyone share with me the size of the scar from an L5-S1 fusion?

I had a lumbar discectomy on L4-L5 in March and that scar is about one inch.

Curious on what will be there in two weeks .... anyone have photos post op, etc. Trying to see what I can expect.

• But I had 2 priors so he did a wide exposure to check on the dural previous dural repair & also b/c he wasn't sure until he got in there to see things if I could "get by" w/ a one-level, which I did (whew!) so I assume it was larger than usual for a typical one-level as you are anticipating?

I would think a standard one-level would be less than my 8"?

Anyone else?

• Had my TLIF 7/27. My wife says it is 3 to 3.5 inches long. I have heard/read that they can be 3-6 inches.
    Good luck.
  • I had 2 levels and mine is 8 inches
  • I had a minimally invasive version of the L5-S1 fusion, which generally requires 2 2" incisions, one on the left and one of the right side of the spine, about 6-ish inches above the level of the fusion. My incisions turned out to be 4 inches on the left side, 5 inches on the right side - the doctor said I had some incredibly strong back muscles. Although 2 big scars might seem worse than one, it was a big advantage because my muscle was not cut through, but moved out of the way.
  • I will update the forum after my surgery with the size of my scar.

My wife said she will measure it, since apparently we men have a habit of inflating the length of things ;)