Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally had that rheumy appointment and he was total dope!

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I am baffled. I mean no offense to anyone who has fibromyalgia. I believe this is a true illness/syndrome and I'm sure I have it. I am baffled by what the Dr. said was the cause of it. He also now calls it Tension Myositis Syndrome. He said the cause of my joint pain (and possibly all my back issues) is from unconscious rage I have from my childhood. He handed me a pamphlet and told me to go to seminars at a hospital 40 miles from my home! He did not x-ray any joints or do blood work. That pamphlet cost me alot of $ what a waste. I lived away from home at 14 and had therapy weekly along with group therapy for 4 years. Believe me I got tons of rage out! My Parents and I reconciled 30 years ago! I have PRESENT rage that I'm very conscious of though. I'm angry about being disabled,about leaving my job,about my discs blowing one by one,walking with a cane for years,all the pain and saddness I've endured,and all the things I've missed aong the way!!! And I'm angry about Physicians who hand you pamphlets and say your surgeries aren't working even tough I AM WALKING PROOF. I'd like to give him a pinched nerve and tell him it's his unconscious rage. And give him a pamphlet.
Faith M

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    You were sent to a rheumy and not one x-ray or even blood work was done? To me that is a RED flag. I think if I were you I would see a different rheumy and report this one. I would of walked out when a rheumy started talking to me about mental health issues. I was not aware they are qualified for this and to state such a thing without ruling out all medical causes first is unethical in my opinion.
  • Repeated nerve stimulation causes the brains of people w/fibro to change. It causes an abnormal increase in levels of chemicals in the brain that signal pain. Receptors become more sensitive and can overreact to pain signals.

I definitely know I've had way too much nerve stimulation in the last 11 years! My receptors must be on RED ALERT. THIS makes sense to me! I would love some input on this,anyone?

Faith M
  • I actually heard a Dr. say that fibro is just a name Dr.s give when they cant figure out what is going on with a persons and their symptoms.
    Fibro is almost always given to a person by a rhuemy.
    I'm not knock en rhuemy's. I have one myself.

P.S.Just my opinions and what I heard from a DR.
    Hugs to all..Patsy
  • I was just hoping he'd x-ray my shoulder, check out my finger joints and do some bloodwork. Instead he poked me all over, asked me about my childhood and made the diagnosis. Oh, and he gave me a pamphlet. It was just frustrating.
    Faith M
  • your dr. wasnt trained in psychiatry. he was in the wrong pair of shoes. drs are supposed to run tests, study results, ask questions, and come to reasonable conclusions. best you find another more thorough dr.
  • I'm going to see my primary physician next week. He knows me well, I've been seeing him for 13 years. I'll see what he has to say about this. Thanks Pete.
    Faith M
  • Red flag is right! I have plenty of proven medical causes for my pain. And honestly I was just too dumbfounded to walk out at that time. I'm concerned I have osteo in my shoulder or that I am possibly still healing from fusion in Januaury. I'm completely fused and surgeon thinks I shouldn't be having pain. I'm sure my primary Dr. will set me up w/x-rays. What a waste of money that appt. was!
    Faith M
  • Faith..
    He poked you all over in different areas huh?
    Prolly looking for tender points. If you said yes kinda tender...with some of the pokes.(MY opinion....
    Boom Bang you have been diagnosed with Fibro)
    (We all would say yea kinda tender in some of the areas if doctor was poking around on our sore bodies.)

I Know lots of people that where diagnosed like this and then some time later.. a year or two or three.. They finally figure out what is really going on..

My opinion again.... Sometimes by that time you are in such bad shape you cant even walk or even worse then that..
    p.s. I have heard Doc's say you must of been abused as a child..and so on...
    I have worked in medical field and worked close with Medical Doc's.....

All the words I type are my opinions and or my experiences.
    Best of wishes Faith.
    Hugs to all... Patsy
  • All I have to say is that rheumatologist is a F.Idiot. Good grief! I've been to 5 and they all drawn out enough blood to start a blood bank. I would be lucky to get out of there filling only 10 vials.

Unconscious rage my foot. Faith, take off and don't look back.
  • Yeah I'm not buying what this Dr. is selling! F idiot is right. I appreciate your input.
    Faith M
  • I saw my primary Dr. and told him of my rheumy visit, his response was "huh". Funny that's what I thought too. He did ROM and strength testing. He found significant muscle weakness and limited motion in my R arm/shoulder. He also heard the clicks. He thinks I have 2 things going on in my shoulder, a impingement and muscle weakness. He said the weakness may be from disc or shoulder. No mention of fibromyalgia!!! He gave me a antinflamtory cream and sent me for a x-ray. When the report comes in I'll probably start PT. My surgeon does no after care, he never thinks I need PT after surgery. Crazy huh? I have rehabed myself after my last 2 fusion surgeries. I do 40 min.of PT excersizes (a routine I've done for years) and I walk
    daily. I think some therapy on my arm/shoulder will really help, my excersizes just aren't helping. I really don't want it to be disc issues! I hate waiting for reports.
    Faith M

• Hi Faith,

I just saw all this about your dr visit and I feel so bad! And F idiot is right! There are other rheumatologists out there. Find another one as soon as you can. I hope the PT is working for you.

• Hi Marti! I've been wondering how you're doing. Did you have any surgery? I saw a Orthopedist today and finally got some answers. I definitely have a shoulder problem. I have a couple of bone spurs that are possibly digging into or tearing the rotator cuff. I'll be getting a MRI in a week. I'm relieved it's not neck related but it's just one more thing. For the spurs they can do cortizone shots and PT. If it's also the rotator cuff, it will need surgery. What an idiot that Rheumy was! He said my pain was not related to a medical issue! I think I'll send him copies of my x-rays and MRI. It just goes to show doctors can be WRONG. I wasn't being heard, so I found one who would hear me. I know my body and I knew that Rheumy was full of sh##!
    Faith M
  • this is DOWN ON SOME DRS DAY. my brother is a dr and he said 20% of all dr decisions are wrong....ask your dr what his % is. also check to see if he has degree in psychology... :?
  • This doctor was a 100% wrong. And what a surprise, no psychology degree! Thanks for your input Pete. Faith M
This discussion has been closed.