Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 Symptons of Depression

bigcat90bbigcat90 Posts: 1,012
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Depression and Coping
Depression: Recognizing the Physical Symptoms

Most of us know about the emotional symptoms of depression. But you may not know that depression can cause physical symptoms, too.

In fact, many people with depression feel pain or other physical symptoms. These include:
You Don't Have to Live With Depression

Understand the symptoms of depression, from sadness to hopelessness to headache.

* Depression Myths and Facts
* What’s Causing Your Depression?
* Getting Help: Where You Can Look
* Questions to Ask Your Doctor
* 18 Positive Steps to Feel Better

* Headaches. These are fairly common in people with depression. If you already had migraine headaches, they may become worse if you're depressed.
* Back pain. If you already suffer with back pain, it may get worse if you become depressed.
* Muscle aches and joint pain. Depression can make any kind of chronic pain worse.
* Chest pain. Obviously, it's very important to get chest pain checked out by an expert right away. It can be a sign of serious heart problems. But chest pain is also associated with depression.
* Digestive problems. You might feel queasy or nauseous. You might have diarrhea or become chronically constipated.
* Exhaustion and fatigue. No matter how much you sleep, you may still feel tired or worn out. Getting out of the bed in the morning may seem very hard, even impossible.
* Sleeping problems. Many people with depression can't sleep well anymore. They wake up too early or can't fall asleep when they go to bed. Others sleep much more than normal.
* Change in appetite or weight. Some people with depression lose their appetite and lose weight. Others find they crave certain foods -- like carbohydrates -- and weigh more.
* Dizziness or lightheadedness......Link from WebMD.http://www.webmd.com/depression/recognizing-depression-symptoms/physical-symptoms

• Hiya Cory! well ive faced myself in the mirror with most of those symptoms...dang.
    But there is always the hope of the sunset being spectacular, or the water at the beach being well, water clear instead o green, of purring kittens on my cheek in the shade, of little pups chomping the back of my neck as i play dead with them, of the stillness at the end of the day, the coolness in the morning. its a little hard to stay down with these and some help from my fellow spineys!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• really nice ranchhand....especially the purring kitten. I just got a 10 week old and he's great. And watching my other 2 older lady cats bonding with him is wonderful to see.

Every day I pray for the spineys here, that despite all the anger and pain that comes with back/neck problems, they will see what there is out there still to be grateful for. Not easy to get to that point.

• As you say Bigcat, depression is many things and made up of an array of collective simultaneous symptoms that creep up on us all at times, I have had my share and know what to expect, for me it was the door to additional trauma and having been down I have no intention of going again if possible. My metal health is equally important and I do every thing within my power to stay away from the entry or initial signs. We all get down and living this life continually never easy, simple or straightforward.

I have been fortunate to witness depression at its most corrosive and although those patients were ill it was only a temporary episode and with the correct help support and guidance pulled through. This guy always asked me for change for the phone and I always gave him some, who would not want to hear a friendly voice, I see him in our town, he is better and hopefully through his ordeal, you would have to be made of stone to resist that outstretched hand of need and ignore it.

Our residential PM helped us to develop mastering our inner voice, the simple one that tells you to do more and ignore that pain or just keep going, daring you to stop. We have all exceeded our capacity either knowingly or unwittingly and pain the consequence with increased pain, after the fourth lesson you think we would stop.

Your symptoms could be a tick sheet of where we are and how we are doing, an identification of the next symptom, although some things are simpler to diagnose in ourselves depression is not one of them and your 9 could inform us how we feel at any given time. Depression and chronic pain go hand in hand and for many this will occur at some time or other and anything we can do to minimise its depth has to be a good thing. I am reading a book on teenagers and he postulates the origin of the depression process may originate from then.

Get advice and support if required and good metal health to us all.

• I suffered from mild depression before my neck problems, but they got much worse when I had to deal with my neck. I struggle every day, and I try to remember that many are worse off with me!
  • I agree on keeping an even keel on the mental physical, emotional, spiritual balance. the first three are intertwined and in my humble opinion should be looked upon as a whole.
    we are more than the sum of individual parts, notice i used individual" in/un-divid-able.
    one doctor wants to treat this, the other another part. all should work as a holistic team...i think.

Is it denial of a sort to watch for and stay away from the signs of depression? I dont know. But John I agree heartily that I should be proactive in my approach to watching for the signs of the darkness.
    Bravo!! John on another pinpoint answer.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Thanks Ranch,
    Diagnosing depression in oneself is the hardest of things and before you know it you are an amalgam of all those signs and symptoms, lower in that spiral than you need to be and climbing back up.

My episode was quite early in my journey, those aspects are sometime interlinked and we see ourselves differently from the inside that we are evaluated from those viewing externally. It was not that I was in denial I had no true measure in how low I had become, experience has support has taught me additional strategies of coping and the transition from some pain from none something we never forget. We are not robotic and who would not be depressed having to endure one’s existence continually in pain.

The balance of realistic expectation is hard to accept or understand setting your goals too low is a recipe for not trying as hard as you might, too high and you are setting yourself up for ingrained failure, perhaps we need to change those in harmony of how we feel and know when to push and when to rest.

I use positive communication with myself, knowing that having a negative slant on life from the half empty sphere is not good, nobody does this with intent; we all need the correct support, to be encouraged. We read here it is not just that we have additional issues over time; we are expected to adopt these without deviation and carry on as our norm, as if they were never happening.

The only reflective aspect I acknowledge is to assess what I have achieved and where I have come from, despite having pain and predominantly because I have it. I have developed as a person patient husband and farther, and those threads of pain run through our live and for some will continue to do so. It is always hard acknowledging to others what the journey ahead may bring, it is not any suggestion of foreboding, having been depressed nobody would sit and watch another fall into that chasm of go that route without a tinge of compassion. I like Bigcat’s observation that depression can magnify already difficult issues; not having depression will not make them disappear, only how visual they are to us individually.

It is suggested that 1-4 will have some form of depressive event over a lifetime, we are in increasing company, these events are usually singular, with the use of medication for a defined period and additional support a traditional strategy.

Take care boys and girls.

• Symptoms may persist for long periods, although patients are able to function normally. Is believed to be due to changes in serotonin, a chemical that helps the brain cope with emotions.