Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg pain now bilateral

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some insight into my leg pain that is now going into my left leg after only being in my right leg for 2 months. The pain in my right thigh/ knee/calf and foot has been very severe (i'm pretty much house bound except for medical appts)As of yesterday, i started having symptoms in my left leg. The pain in my right seems to have changed too to mimic the new left sided pain: seems to have localized near the groin/buttocks area, on both sides.

I"m terrified of my left side becoming as worse as my right. I'm trying to minimize sitting/standing, and laying down with ice/heat, and taking tylenol and advil.

Does anyone know of anything else I could be doing to stop the left side from progressing, or is it pretty much out of my control?

Thank you for your help.
A diagnosis was never really officially given to me, but my MRI reports bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L3-L4,spondylolisthesis at l4-l5, compression fracture to L1, facet joint osteophytes, annular tear/'broad based disc osteophyte complex bulging ( i don't know what this means...)

• You have the classic symptoms I had, "Bi-lateral Radicular Leg pain from Bi-Lateral Neural Foraminal Lumbar Stenosis".

Sadly this pain does not improve with age. It is purely a matter of how long you can keep the pain at bay before having to consider surgery. That timescale varies with each person and it completely depends on many factors, not least, our age, what physical stuff you do, either through work or regular exercise as well as how good and how accurate you pain management doctor is with administering your cortisone shots, of which you can only have three a year. I lasted almost five years before having surgery and I am now wondering why I suffered for so long, when I could of had surgery earlier. I had excellent pain Management and in the final analysis I had a great surgeon. I have been very fortunate in that I am 100% happy since my surgery with the amount of pain relief.

However, you will most certainly need a very good Pain Management doctor, that is for sure and he will be able to help you to manage your pain for as long as possible.

I honestly and truthfully know exactly what your pain consists of only too well and I absolutely wish you well and out of pain as soon as possible.

Good luck to you.

John B

• Brightside,
    Are you also having any difficulties with increasing numbness, especially around the buttocks, genital area? Any difficulties in either going or stopping bathroom activities? Any change in the way toilet paper feels? Can you urinate or go #2 normally or are you having difficulty starting or stopping?
    If you have any of those symptoms, you need to be seen by your surgeon asap.
    Do a search on Cauda Equina Syndrome. Not to scare you, but you should be aware of the symptoms and make sure that if you have all or even most of them, that you consult a surgeon right away.
  • Thank you Sandi and John for taking the time to reply. That's Pretty grim news John, especially when my ortho. Surgeon ( whom I have no further follow up with) brushed it off saying I'll be fine after 4 physio appointments. (Needless to say those 4 appointments have long since passed). I do plan on seeing my family physician nex week to discuss other options.

Sandi: thank you for the info re:Cauda Equina. It sounds like you have been through and continue to go through some incredibly hard times.
    Thank you for sharing the info you did. Last night i was actually concerned that it could be this, but after reading a lot of info online, the only symptom I have, is PAIN, ( not numbness/altered sensation) in groin/ buttock/ saddle area, and increase in leg/ thigh weakness. (or at least it feels like weakness). Seeing as I don't have any of the other symptoms, I felt I'd be safe to wait and discuss with my PT on Tuesday. What do you think?

Thanks again for reading ....