Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, I am new here, and looking for help/advise. I have 3 cervical hernaited discs at C3 thru C6 levels. I have had pain for 10 years now, with the last 3 years being more extreme pain, and did not find out what the pain was due to until 3 years ago thru a MRI. I seen a Neurologist that told me he could do nothing due to me only having pain in my neck, but not having numbness or pain in my arm and hand area, he ordered me to go to physical therapy, which I did, but because I was then frustrated with this Dr I chose to find a different Dr to go to. I chose an Orthopedic whom told me that he din't suggest doing surgery due to my age and the 3 level fusion having a reputation of wearing on the discs above and below the fusions, so he put me on Methylprednisolone pac, which helped decrease the pain for a few months, so now I am trying the DRX9000 decompression machine and so far no relief. I am so confused with not having any help in curing my pain. I have been reading blogs about the ADR, and feel there might be hope for me. Does anyone know if I would be a candidate with severe neck pain, but no numbness in the arms and hands? I am getting so desperate.

• sorry that you are in pain and you havent found a solution. how bad is the neck pain?
    at least you dont have pain in your arms and hands.
    i dont know all the facts on who qualifies for the adr. we'll all have to do research on that. keep looking and talking to surgeons. the way technology is moving a solution should be forthcoming.
    i do believe a few people here have the adr so do a search and check it out....pete
  • for the warm welcome. I am 39 yrs old, and the pain is keeping me from doing anything except lay in bed or sit on the couch. I have been a very active person my entire life, with Yoga, hiking, biking, horseback riding, and lots of other outdoor activities. The pain is in my neck area and radiates down between my shoulder blades, and I have headaches at the back of my head. I am going to try the injections as soon as I have finished with my treatments on the DRX9000 machine, I don't want to rule it completely out yet.
  • heres a link to a spine health article on ADR.
    your pain sounds bad. keep looking and i'll bet a solution will appear. hope that stretching machine does the job....

• http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/DeviceApprovalsandClearances/Recently-ApprovedDevices/ucm162968.htm

the long and short of it is you need to have nothing wrong except for one disk being bad and not even too bad!
  • Hi Sandy -
    I hope the stretching machine helps you out - it sounds like a good strategy.

Has your doctor talked much about inflammation and how that could be making things worse? My herniated disc causes neck and shoulder pain all the time, but when the swelling gets worse I get pain and tingling down my arm - when things swell up, the nerves get even more irritated. I'm not a doctor, but if your pain "moves" into new areas, e.g. headaches, when things get worse, there could be nerve involvement. Have you had nerve testing (EMG) done?

Anyway, welcome and best wishes for less pain!

• Sandy, sounds very familiar. I actually had 2 surgeons (1 ortho, 1 neuro) recommend surgery (ACDF) but, no guarantee's. (Bone spurs at C6-7 hitting my nerves).
    However, I saw my physiatrist (sp?) Friday and he indicated he did not think this would help (since I don't have the classic symptoms). My pain has worsened since 6/12 when I was diagnosed and really worse since 1/09 when it started im my collarbone...then moved to my left neck, base of neck, skull, shoulder blades (burn, aches). My main area that it seems to start however is my collar bone...moves to my throat area by my sternum I guess (I have a big lump on left side)...then up the side of my neck by my ear, etc... As lizzielou said, (at least for me) my Neuro also indicated when the nerves are irritated, the muscles start spasms...and that is why my neck, back area starts getting very painful. Don't know if that's what's going on with shoulder blades or not.
    I tried PT once but we stopped as it seemed to aggravate the nerves I guess and they didn't recommend it again. As of last Friday, Doc now mainly wants me to sleep better, well, me too :< (I was until 2:30 this am when shap pains woke me!!)
    Took my norco and xanax and hopefully will be able to sleep soon. Just started Lyrica.
    Anyway, he's (doc) hoping with proper rest that I will start feeling better. ~X(
    We'll see. I think I might get a 3rd opinion this month?? What does everyone think? Getting expensive going to docs? But frustrating not knowing whats going on! And, knowing it's happening.

Please let me know how you are doing SAndy. I too haven't heard of anyone else with out the arm pain/finger pain. I keep waiting for it to come.....daily I do have pins/needles in my left hand that come and go...but not a hurting arm like he said it would be really bad...

PS I did a few rounds of Steroid and they helped, but I don't want to be on that forever and mask the pain. I want to be fixed. Best, Kimber
  • I am only into my second week on the decompression machine, if that fails I'm going to try the injections to see if that helps me any. I have done PT for 12 weeks with no releif except while I was there, when I leave all comes back, I do all the excercises they have gave me to do everyday. I just hope I don't have to go to much longer with this pain.

Thank you for the links Pete, they are very informative.

I have had no nerve testing, no Dr's have even mentioned it to me, so maybe that will be next as well.