Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4.5 Month Update - MicroD l4/l5

rolorrolo Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just a quick note to let folks know how I am doing. Mar 12, 2009 has my second microd in 7 years onm l4/l5. Overall I am doing wonderful and most days I have no issues. I don't lift anything over 20#, i try not to stretch to reach, etc. I can sit forever with no pain now. If I lift too much (yesterday I lifted a friend's kid out of a pool as she flipped over in her floatie) - she weighs about 45 lbs, so today I have some soreness and numbing in the foot and some minor calf/hip tweaks. Seems that the day when I do something I feel fine, then the next few days I get those nerve pains, not very badly, back as a reminder that I did too much. I try to tell myself it's just a flare up and I'm getting better - I worry sick I re injured myself but that's slowly improving as well. I am slowly able to do more without the pains coming back, so overall I'm doing great, just the flare ups when I do too much. Tossing a football now is possible without pain the next day for instance.
Anyone else getting these flare ups for a couple days after you do too much, but otherwise doing fine? My original issues were buttock/calf/foot charlie horses that didnt end, numb foot and butt, etc. Nothing close to those pains now, just twinges off and on when I do to much.
PS - I started being fine after STOPPING pt. They were having me do too much and not letting the nerve heal properly first apparently...so now I let it heal and take it easy!

• Anyone 4-5 months into a micro-d l4/l5 that can share experiences?
  • Hi,
    I am 7 months out from a Laminectomy, and Foraminotomy at L5 S2, done for nerve compression from stenosis. I had most of the same symptoms as you, but sitting was the biggest issue, along with nerve pain. Sitting is still slow to come back, with tailbone pain, but my nerve pain is completely gone, and numbness is also gone. My buttock pain is there sometimes, especially from sitting, but calf and foot have resolved. The Dr. told me 6 months to a year from all the nerves to heal, and the surgery itself to heal. I do get flares, if I overdo things, that last maybe a day or so, and the Dr. just gave me the "take things slow" speech. He said that as you stress yourself to the next level, you will have those flares. I am doing a Medrol Dosepak for the second time in 3 weeks, to get rid of the swelling I still have from my surgery! Also, PT really flared things for me. I had 12 weeks of it, and the Dr. said they were way to agressive with me, which cause most of my inflammation they are trying to get rid of now. It just takes time and patience, and I also found that this week I might not be able to do something, that next week I will be able to do. Just pace yourself, and give yourself "TIME"! sweetpotatoe57
  • Thanks for the reply - it's very reassuring to know someone is like you. I need to figure out how I can tell I am just having an inflammatory flare up vs a re herniation - trying to rid of the paranoia :)
    And I agree - Medrol is a miracle drug.
  • Hi, I know its hard to tell a flare up, from actually hurting your back! Everyone I know, who has had surgery, said it really takes time to over come the fear. I over did it yesterday, and had pins and needles all down my left leg, but this AM, it is gone. I just did some stretches, and TRIED not it stress. The medrol pak has taken out more swelling, so that might also be what helped my leg! The neurologist said I have really tight muscles, and they also put pressure on the nerves, so stretching, and walking is my life. What do you do for exercise's? I do core, and lots of stretching.
  • I had been doing PT, stretching and walking and never was pain free until I stopped doing those things. It's been about 3 weeks and I've been feeling great until last weekend's episode. I should go back to stretching as Im sure that is why my recovery is taking longer this time,