Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shot or no shot?

veajavveaja Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am changing PM docs. I know the new one will want to give me ESI. I have had 4 in the last year with no help (3 before ACDF and 1 after). Should I let the new PM give me more ESI? Thanks for the input

• My understanding is that you're not supposed to have more than 3 cortisone ESI's in one year, but I've also heard of people getting more than that. There are also different medications used in ESIs - I could have this wrong, but I think a selective nerve block is done via spinal injection, and there may be another type of injection as well.

Overall though, don't "let" your doctor do anything you don't feel comfortable with! Remember, it's your body, your pain -- you get to choose what's done to it.

Good luck,
  • Why do you think they will be doing another ESI. What are they doing the ESI's for. Usually if they are not providing any level of relief they don't find the cost effective. Typically if someone has a poor outcome with a injection the insurance company won't approve any more of them as well. As lissielou stated there are different types of injections. The nerve blocks are done like a ESI and mimic the procedure but are done for a different reason with a different meds as well. Trigger points are not done under flourscopic but can really help with muscle spasms. If I were in your shoes I would want to know what is being accomplished by doing them and what other choices can be used in combination with them. For myself my pain management has been the combination approach and has taken many different trial and errors to get the pain in a manageable range. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • You are absolutely not meant to have more than three ESI's in any one year but there is always the doctors discretion and judgement for a special circumstance. However if you have not had any releif whatsoever then I would suggest that your new PM may want to re-evaluate the whole situation, otherwise he may be somewhat in the dark.

I wish you good luck and please come nack and let us lnow what happens.

John B
  • For giving me other views. I have the appt today and will ask the outcome of these.