Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member with many questions

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I am new to this forum, but not new to spine issues. I have had a lumbar decomprssion in 2000, and they tell me after my fusion of C5-6 I will need to have more surgery on my L spine.

My surgery is scedueled on Aug 24, 3 weeks from today. I am quite nervous, even though I have confidence in the surgeon I picked. I am having a great deal of pain, more so since I picked the surgeon and got the date. I am wondering if the increase of pain is partly to do with my anxiousness. My arms and hands feel the same, my pain has increased in my neck and shoulder area. My surgeon told me to start to wear a soft neck brace when in the car, which I started on the way home from his office. I have not been driving a lot but now wonder if it is even legal to drive with a neck collar on?

I was told that I will only be in the hospital for 1 night, my daughter (who is an OT) wants to stay with me, but the hospital only allows family members to stay if you have a private room. The cost will be aprox 500 to me. Do you think this is needed? My daughter went as far as telling me that she will pay for the private room if I don't want to, it isn't the money, just not sure if it is necessary to have her stay with me, or any one else for that matter. Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.

• Anxiety, as I'm sure you know, will cause muscles to tense up thereby increasing your pain. I wouldn't wear a collar while driving, not safe as it limits your range of motion. At other times, I would if it helps with your discomfort. Rest as much as you can, use heat or ice as well.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about having someone there the night after surgery. You'll be sleeping most of the time after visiting hours are over and probably able to go home before noon time the next day. You'll need your rest after anesthesia.

Best wishes to you. I had good results with my cervical fusion.

• I wear a soft neck collar while I drive and its not a problem. I can turn my head, etc. It will protect you. it's not against the law either, fyi.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Some dr's use collar's, some don't. It seems more dr's preference than science. Personally I wouldn't wear one while driving, as it IS supposed to restrict movement in your neck. If it doesn't, (I)don't think it is doing it's job.

I don't think you need your daughter to stay overnight in the hospital, but you will need help at home, for at least the first couple of weeks. There is a lot of info on what to do to prepare for surgery on the links here. The more you prepare, the easier time you will have after surgery. Good luck on your surgery, and try not to worry too much. It's an easy surgery for the surgeon, even if scary for the patient.