Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question on Laminectomy Post-Op

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone! :)

I had a 4 level laminectomy April 8th of this year. I still experience pain in the muscle group on my left shoulder near where the incision was made. I had a trigger point injection about a month ago. That helped for awhile.

My neuro surgeon continues to prescribe 5 milligram oxycodone. I also take neurontin and lyrica. At the moment I'm experiencing quite a lot of pain in the back of my left shoulder. Can anyone else share their experiences? Is that common for the muscle groups in the area of incision to still be quite painful 4 months post-op?

On another note I have permanent nerve damage from the nerves in C-4 thru C-7 on my cervical spine. I'm going on Social Security Disability as a result.

Any comments people can offer will be helpful, keeping in mind none of us are doctors.

Ken GreyEagle

• hi! :H i did not have any problems at all with my laminectomy on L4-L5. :D i am sorry you are dealing with these pain issues.. ~X( keep close to your doctor. :-C good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • Ken,
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your left shoulder. Guess I have been lucky in that respect. Could the problem be from the nerve damage? Just a thought. I don't have much pain, more muscle spasms than anything else, and my rls has been getting worse, another doctor is working on that one. The NS thinks it is all from the damage to my spinal cord at c6-c7. Hope that things start getting better for you. Take care my friend.

• It's great to hear from you although I wish it were happier news.

• I had a laminectomy in June and my muscles are still bothering me. Its on the left side too next to the incision. I started therapy yesterday and today I ve been in bed all day. they hooked me up to a tens unit, it massaged my muscles using electric impulses. It felt really good at the time. I guess it was too much too soon i don't really know. My left side of my neck hurts too much also. I think the trap muscles will take some time before they are healed in my opinion.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.