Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe muscle spasm or severe nerve pain?

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Since my pain started and for the last few months I've been having bad pain that is most severe on the left side where the shoulder and neck meet (I guessing C7) . When I tilt my head to the right shoulder I can feel a pull and tight feeling along with a pain that is sort of hard to describe , best I can say is a burning pain sort with a bad ache , sometimes maybe sharp if I pull my neck to the right. The pain goes up the left outer side to the back of my left ear and sometimes there is a nerve on the top of my head on the left side , more specifically on the part of the head in the left corner of my left eye. Sometimes I get pain around my left eye as well, and left shoulder pain along with pain down the arm and sometimes left leg pain.

Only thing that may help it for a bit is icing, sometimes heat, and my Soma is probably the only thing I take that helps for a bit . I am thinking of restarting my mobic (anti-inflam) that sometimes helps.

I do have a nasty tight muscle in the middle back of my left shoulder that the massage therapist said was as hard as a rock and couldn't massage out, so maybe that is it.

I don't know...Anyone else ever get this? Would it be a muscle spasm causing it or is it more nerve pain or both or something else like OA or ?

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

  • That sounds just like I have been feeling today. My normal pain meds were not helping at all. I reached back on the left side of my neck and it was hard as a rock. I took a zanaflex about 1 1/2 hrs ago and it is easing up some what. I thought about taking an anti-inflam also. I think today for me was just tight.
  • broskisr said:
    That sounds just like I have been feeling today. My normal pain meds were not helping at all. I reached back on the left side of my neck and it was hard as a rock. I took a zanaflex about 1 1/2 hrs ago and it is easing up some what. I thought about taking an anti-inflam also. I think today for me was just tight.
    I tried Zanaflex and it gave me a mild allergic reaction feeling of mild stinging in my mouth and bottom of my feet for the first hour or two of taking it. So I just quit it. My doctor was thinking maybe my body was used to the Soma, cause sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I'll take my mobic tomorrow see if that helps. Sometimes I think Mobic doesn't work for me, but if I stop it after a week or two, I definitely notice more pain ... And the mobic helps for two hours or so. eh.

    Before your surgery what were your disc problems if I may ask?

    Thanks for your response.
  • Hi, I'm new here and just saw your post. Very interesting as it is what i have. The xrays showed I have fasic arthritis, I believe that is what its called. The pain seems to settle during night after taking Klonopin and tramadol. But if I get stressed or sit at computer for long periods it really hurts. I can't afford an MRI so I don't know what I am going to do. Does this get worse or go away by itself in time? Anyone?
  • Before my surgery my 5/6,6/7 were blown out left, rignt and central, my 4/5 just central. I had 5/6,6/7 fused and left 4/5 because it wasnt "bad enough for surgery at this time". Most of the issues I still have are from the pressure on the nerves 5/6/6/7 I think. I am better than before surgery because I could not manage the pain and spasams at all. Now at least I have some better days than others.
  • french said:
    Hi, I'm new here and just saw your post. Very interesting as it is what i have. The xrays showed I have fasic arthritis, I believe that is what its called. The pain seems to settle during night after taking Klonopin and tramadol. But if I get stressed or sit at computer for long periods it really hurts. I can't afford an MRI so I don't know what I am going to do. Does this get worse or go away by itself in time? Anyone?

    Welcome.
    Sorry to hear about your pain. I wish I could afford another MRI, but not right now. I've never taken tramadol, but Klonopin does help sometimes. Maybe you should try a muscle relaxer or an anti inflam for the arthritis. Heat and Ice can help.
    It depends on the person. Arthritis will never go away. You can have good days , but it still will affect you. I heard stretching and light exercise can help or movement period. I also have heard swimming is really good.
    I've been suffering for almost two years, so I would say it will continue. :(
  • broskisr said:
    Before my surgery my 5/6,6/7 were blown out left, rignt and central, my 4/5 just central. I had 5/6,6/7 fused and left 4/5 because it wasnt "bad enough for surgery at this time". Most of the issues I still have are from the pressure on the nerves 5/6/6/7 I think. I am better than before surgery because I could not manage the pain and spasams at all. Now at least I have some better days than others.
    Wow it seems you had it worse than me. I'm glad the surgery helped you out somewhat. Chronic pain is not fun at all!
    Thanks for the info.
  • Ever since we did our "teambuilding" event here at work that really messed me up, I have been dealing with what feels like a pulled muscle that goes from my knee all the way up to my head. The worst is around my shoulder blade and neck. Now if I start feeling like I'm doing too much I can pretty much guarantee that the next day it will return, so I really have to pay attention to my body saying "enough is enough."

    Alternating heat & ice packs helped a lot, my doc told me to take my valium 4x per day instead of 1x per day and I use my TENS on my upper back & neck. The first occurrence took 3 weeks to resolve, now since I'm being a little more careful, it only takes two or three days to resolve.
    Jay
  • I have the exact type of pain you've described. It makes it difficult (mentally & physically) to do the neck stretches I learned in physical therapy. I'm hanging in there with the stretches though.

    Hope you find an answer & relief soon.

    Regards,
    Jasro
  • ButterflyPain said:
    Since my pain started and for the last few months I've been having bad pain that is most severe on the left side where the shoulder and neck meet (I guessing C7) . When I tilt my head to the right shoulder I can feel a pull and tight feeling along with a pain that is sort of hard to describe , best I can say is a burning pain sort with a bad ache , sometimes maybe sharp if I pull my neck to the right. The pain goes up the left outer side to the back of my left ear and sometimes there is a nerve on the top of my head on the left side , more specifically on the part of the head in the left corner of my left eye. Sometimes I get pain around my left eye as well, and left shoulder pain along with pain down the arm and sometimes left leg pain.

    Only thing that may help it for a bit is icing, sometimes heat, and my Soma is probably the only thing I take that helps for a bit . I am thinking of restarting my mobic (anti-inflam) that sometimes helps.

    I do have a nasty tight muscle in the middle back of my left shoulder that the massage therapist said was as hard as a rock and couldn't massage out, so maybe that is it.

    I don't know...Anyone else ever get this? Would it be a muscle spasm causing it or is it more nerve pain or both or something else like OA or ?

    Thanks.
    I have the same problem and therapist says the same thing. They used a tens unit on me yesterday and today I am so miserable i missed work and have been in bed all day. The tens unit helped me enough that I ordered one yesterday to keep on me. I go to therapy again thursday. I guess they over worked my muscles yesterday I dont know. I wanna cry!
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • shortfuse5691 said:
    ButterflyPain said:
    Since my pain started and for the last few months I've been having bad pain that is most severe on the left side where the shoulder and neck meet (I guessing C7) . When I tilt my head to the right shoulder I can feel a pull and tight feeling along with a pain that is sort of hard to describe , best I can say is a burning pain sort with a bad ache , sometimes maybe sharp if I pull my neck to the right. The pain goes up the left outer side to the back of my left ear and sometimes there is a nerve on the top of my head on the left side , more specifically on the part of the head in the left corner of my left eye. Sometimes I get pain around my left eye as well, and left shoulder pain along with pain down the arm and sometimes left leg pain.

    Only thing that may help it for a bit is icing, sometimes heat, and my Soma is probably the only thing I take that helps for a bit . I am thinking of restarting my mobic (anti-inflam) that sometimes helps.

    I do have a nasty tight muscle in the middle back of my left shoulder that the massage therapist said was as hard as a rock and couldn't massage out, so maybe that is it.

    I don't know...Anyone else ever get this? Would it be a muscle spasm causing it or is it more nerve pain or both or something else like OA or ?

    Thanks.

    I have the same problem and therapist says the same thing. They used a tens unit on me yesterday and today I am so miserable i missed work and have been in bed all day. The tens unit helped me enough that I ordered one yesterday to keep on me. I go to therapy again thursday. I guess they over worked my muscles yesterday I dont know. I wanna cry!
    So sorry, I know how that is. I want to cry at least once or twice a day. Most of the time I don't...Probably the lexapro or cymbalta keeping me from crying lol...But I do have a cry now and then.

    This sort of pain is miserable and I am still mad the pm doctor told me just to take advil...I was thinking in my head "WTF" And plan never to go to him again. At least my neurologist understands.

    Yes, a tens unit is good. It has helped me off and on. I need to get new pads for it right now though. They aren't sticky enough and they fall off easily ugh.

    Take care.
  • ButterflyPain said:
    french said:
    Maybe you should try a muscle relaxer (


    I agree the muscle relaxer should always be the first approach...
  • jasro said:
    I have the exact type of pain you've described. It makes it difficult (mentally & physically) to do the neck stretches I learned in physical therapy. I'm hanging in there with the stretches though.

    Hope you find an answer & relief soon.

    Regards,
    Jasro
    Heat then exercise/streching followed by ultra sound and finish with massage works well...
  • Don't take this wrong but I am happy to finally find other people who get the neck spasms and facial pain. My doc and PT look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I feel like I have a severe ear infection. THey swear this can't be coming from my disc herniation.

    Is Tens the electric stimulation that they do at PT. I never heard that term. ANy other ideas? I haven't gotten to the meds you all seem to be taking and don't think I want to do that if I can help it.

    Any recommendations for spine specialist in the Manhattan or Long Island NY areas? I think I'm ready for a second opinion.
  • Kris-NY said:
    Don't take this wrong but I am happy to finally find other people who get the neck spasms and facial pain. My doc and PT look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I feel like I have a severe ear infection. THey swear this can't be coming from my disc herniation.

    Is Tens the electric stimulation that they do at PT. I never heard that term. ANy other ideas? I haven't gotten to the meds you all seem to be taking and don't think I want to do that if I can help it.

    Any recommendations for spine specialist in the Manhattan or Long Island NY areas? I think I'm ready for a second opinion.
    Yes, I have gotten the facial pain now and then and behind the ear pain like an ear ache. Yes , Electric stimulation is the same thing as tens.

    I hope you find relief without medication. I just can't control my pain without something during the day. PT helped while I was doing it, but it has always gone back after.

  • Go to _________.com. You can look up doctors there for free. I know a few doctors in Westchester.

    EDITED



    Dr. EDITED (my ortho)

    I will try to find a doctor's name a girl gave me a work a while back. He did her ACDF and back and she is doing great.

    Good Luck!

    Cindy

    Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.

    Cindy
  • Hi, since I last posted I have found some relief. I am using the TENS Unit everyday for a couple of hours alternating between Burst mode and Continuous Mode. I have discontinued the Tramadol almost from the start as it got me dopey....I continue with the Klinopin and occasional Bayer Aspirin. Also, and most importantly I have used imagery and REALLY put in in GOD's hands. I pray unceasingly and really believe. I take care of my daughter and my elderlyl mother and I know HE won't let me down. I am doing sooo good and and am thankful. I hope someone can benefit from this.
  • I have similiar problems with pain that is in the left side under the scapula and the neck. I have been desperate, so I finally have tried chiropractic medicine. The ULTRASOUND is the tx that seems to help. I am still in pain but will have a few good hours..

    I am fighting the Anthem Ins. to get Radiofrequency Ablation. Hopefully that will help. It gets depressing...I was a fitness trainer for 25 years, but I still got disc disease.

    Hope that you find relief. Best, JJB
  • I went at least six months arguing with drs. that something was wrong with my ear. I kept telling them it felt like an ear infection. After countless visits to my pcp's office I finally insisted he send me to a ENT. The ENT noticed almost immediatly I have TMJ. It's a very painful condition of the jaw. You should have your dr or denist do an x-ray...and get a nite guard.
    Hope this helps!
  • Carol,
    Had C4-5-6 fusion 9 mo. ago.I have the same daily pain that you indure. On my third try with physical therapy. See my family doc next week and will request an MRI to see if there is something there or if this is all muscle tension and swelling. On most of those same meds that you list. Alot of Therapists along with my doctor agree that I shouldn't have this kind of pain 9 months post surgery. Take control of your medical care and request an MRI. Without one you will never really know for sure what is going on in there. My NS saw me 4 months post and said "It fused and everything looks good but if you're still having pain in the fall, come back and see me" He did his job as a surgeon and fused my neck and then washed his hands of me at the 4 month check up. After my MRI I will let you know what I found out. YOU are your best advocate for your own health care so don't be afraid to talk with your doc and request a few tests of your own!!!
  • You wouldn't believe what has helped my condition tremendously-The new drink called Elation! It states you should see a difference in 6 days. I take that first thing in morning, at night I take melatonin and that is it Imagine me who had so much trouble sleeping! I got off tramadol as it made me dopey, and klonopin. Who said it never goes away? I also dedicated much time to prayer and just handed it over to HIM. I can't believe it. I did not have the money for an MRI. And since then I have gotten some help during the day with nurses, aides and physical therapy for my mom. So lots of things are better. And, cool wheather, jobs are slowly coming along and they change the time on Nov 1st. All calming things in my life. But I repeat, no more meds. My pain only shows up in a form of a little stiffness. Also, I use the TENS unit every day. Goodspeed to all of you and wish you well! Sometimes the simplist things in life are what work.
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.