Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back and leg pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi this is kuldeep (28 years old) from India.
I'm having pain in my left leg from last 4-5 years.
Actually pain started from lower back (leftside only) and radiates down to my leg along the inner part of my leg. Sometimes numbness, tingling also feeled, uneasyness in the leg. The intensity of the pain was higher in the below ankle (inner side). With passage of time, pain goes high and in my low back i started feeling pain.
I consulted doctor in India. The MRI scan report(18th July 2009) says-

1. disc dessication changes seen L4-L5 level
2. Schmorl's nodule seen at few level L-S spine
3. Subligementous mild diffuse disk bulge seen at L4-L5 level indicating the thecal sec with narrowing of B/L neural foramen.
4. Rest of disc spaces are X (not able to read from the MRI scan report, but i think it is OK. I can provide the softcopy, if required)
5. Post elements and spinal legements are X (i think OK)
6. Prespinal muscles are X (i think OK)

The Important point written in the report is:-

Mild degenerative changes L-S spine with mild disc bulge at L4-L5 level, narrowing of B/L neural foramen.

Can you please help me to let me understand what exactly happened to me and what is the treatment for it, if any?
or do i have to live up with pain?

• hello...you are so young to have such pain.
    the mri shows an area in your lower lumbar spine that is causing you pain. you should see a spinal surgeon to determine best course of action. my guess is that he will want you to try conservative measures like physical therapy and/or accupuncture. he may also put you on ibupropen or even something stronger if necessary. do you have a good hospital with skilled spinal surgeons? dont be so worried about surgery as i hope he can get results with less invasive procedures.
    let us know how you make out...oh by the way...no lifting!!!!!
  • Hi, thnx for the reply.
    My doctor told me a complete 10 days bed rest, given me some tablet (named NeuroTrans) for neuro and some pain killers.
    But what i think is "is 10days bed rest is sufficient".

and i'm not clear about the endlasting treatment for my problem.?
  • 10 days of bed rest but i'm not the dr. i think its too much time in bed. with disk problems drs here in the usa usually suggest strengthening muscles and advise no more than two days rest. i suggest you get a 2nd opinion....
  • I just had surgery for a severely bulging L4-5. It was worth it. Injections didnt really work and eventually i just couldnt walk. 5 days post op now. Painful but at least the pain isnt shooting down my legs. The numbness and tingling are still there and may always be but I am definately feeling somewhat better. I hope you get relief soon.

Oh and as for the bedrest. I am on it with just 6 5 min walks a day and I cant keep to it. Being in bed so long increases my pain so I have been alternating bed, with sitting. Seems to be helping. I also do gentle stretches while in bed and sitting to keep the tissues stretched. You definately have to move a little in my opinion. Plus I am a nurse and pete is right. Here we make our patients move! lol. So I am following my own advise lol. Take care.
  • here is a link for some conservative treatment described in spine health article. http://www.spine-health.com/information/disc-disease-treatment
    drs here in the usa used to recommend bed rest . however the current thinking is now to keep moving.
    i would study the articles written here on sh and also get more opinions from drs in your country.
  • Hi, first of all, thanks for the wise suggestions. Let me take a 2nd opinion and i'll get back to you.

• you would be a candidate for a at L4/5 an maybe S1 with the fact that you have leg pain .this indicates nerve damage /compression ,i take it that you are on pain medication? if not you will be going through hell! a TENS unit WONT help with nerve damage .rest and pain meds i think that you are past conservative measure's like epidurals and facet joint injections ,i think that an operation is your only way forward.but be warned even if you have a good result {you have reduced or no leg pain post op} your lower back will be weak and you will always have some sort of back ache and the possibility of further surgery in years to come ,,this is more a fact then a maybe .this is my opinion i am NOT a medical person but i have had 15 years of back problems and 2 major operations and countless medical procedures on my back so i feel qualified to give my opinion
  • hi,i have pain in my back going down my legs,somtimes like electric shocks,my feet are so painfull i cant even stand whithout a lot of pain,does anyone know what i can do to help this? any advise will be good,many thanks
  • Have you had tests. what drs have you seen? how long have you had pain. how did it start?
    sorry to be a nit picker and i know your just learning the ropes on this site but the best way to take full advantage is to start a new thread. you could start it under new members intro. this tread is devoted mainly to help the fellow from india that started it...include as much detail as possible and you will get good response....pete