Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed nerve ablation increase in pain HELP

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Pain Management
Had a lumbar nerve ablation May- great pain relief after two weeks
PM MD got a newer type ofprobe. This one I could feel and it was warm.
Used it on SI 1 23
In 3 weeks pain was awful and now it has spread to pelvic and groin/
Can not drive.
He put me on naprosyn and will see me in a month.
ANY suggestions?
Anyone else have this problem??
Will it go away on its own? Very depressing.

• Hi,

What kind of symptoms did you have before the Nerve Ablation? Why did he do the ablation? Did he do S1 2 and 3? A friend of mine just had one about 3 weeks ago, and feels great. I never had one, but did have surgery on the L5 S1 area. He had his ablation done on the L5 S1 area, so was wondering what your symptoms were then, and now. What does your Dr. say?sweetpotatoe57
  • Hi
    He did S 1 2 3 left and right
    Symptoms- a lot ofpain in SI area. Can't really take much in way of meds.

On ativan for anxiety now with all this pain and psychiatrist said I cannottake Vicodin.

Reason- I have had a lot od episural steroids over the years and he wanted to avoid further probelms with steroids.

I had another PM before this one and he also suggested it.

As I had great results with the Lumbar I did not expect this result with the S 123

• What kind of problems were you having with your back? Do you have Disk issues, stenosis,etc.? Have you had any back surgery? What symptoms do you have? Do you have pain in your legs, buttock, low back, feet, etc.? When you say S1 are you referring to the S1 nerve root, or the SI joint? sweetpotatoe57
  • I think I meant S1 nerve root I di d not know there wasa a difference
  • Hello Betty -

I'm wondering if your PM Doc who had performed the surgery told you that the procedure doesn't always bring positive or successful results?

As is the case with ESI's, SIJ injections, etc., there is a percentage of patients who do not experience any significant or lasting relief...and you seem to fall into that category. I would certainly let your PM Doc know ASAP and don't wait until your scheduled appt. to do so...there's no reason to be sitting there now in MORE pain than what precipitated this latest round ablations.

Take care Betty and best wishes to you -

• Thanks

I do not know how to put my signature with back history

It is 30 years of pain alleviated by nerve blocks.
    PLIF 10-07 rods and screws and donated bone graft
    6 glorious pain free months
    4/08 pain returned

Summer 08 nerve blocks
    pain free aug to dec 08

medial branch
    nerve ablation RIGHT lumbar 2 09 great results
    L 345 S 1
    failed SI ablation S 1 2 3 Both Left and Right
  • Thanks Jeff
    The lumbar worked- so I never expected the SI ablation not to.

Also I had seen another Pm who recommended it.

I do not recall PM saying it might increase pain.
    Maybe I missed that., I do recall hearing 8 months of pain rleief.

What are my choices for pain relief now?