Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Slight Incontinence

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, I know most of you have been through the same ringer I have, and most of you much worse. Therefore, I consider you the professionals.

My story,

In April of 08 I have a spinal fusion, L4,L5,S1. Prior to this I had two previous surgeries to repair the ruptures of L4 & L5. Before the fusion, on two occasions I had two minor incidences while sleeping, of bowel incontinence. Horrified to say the least, I was so embarrassed to tell my surgeon, but did so. He brushed it off as if it were nothing. Okay, it went away, never had the problem again. Had the surgery, things went well for the most part, and I've been living a pretty normal life. Until yesterday, for some reason, my back started hurting, and I noticed some sciatica pain in my right leg. I didn't have sciatica pain before this last surgery for some reason. Well it's been 1 year and 4 months to the day since I had the fusion. As I said, yesterday I started having back and leg pain, well last night, while I slept I had a minor accident of bowel incontinence again. Can anyone tell me if they've had this happen to them? This is very hard to talk about, but before this happened, I had noticed that it was becoming much, much harder to hold in the gas while in the presence of others. Like the sphincter muscle is suddenly weakened. Anyway, I'm feeling a little scared at this point.

• I would call the dr to let him know of the recent sciatica and new problem you had. Maybe you need a new MRI to see if something new is going on. Also, maybe it would be good to check in with your reg. dr just to make sure something else isn't going on too. This is just advise and I'm sure others with more experience can help you more. Take care and let us know what the drs. tell you.

Good luck!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    it is something that you definitely need to discuss with your doctor. I would not wait a while, you dont want something like this to continue without discussing it with a doctor.
    Some members here will tell you call immediately, I dont have any personally knowledge, so I can just pass on what I know.
    Last thing you should do is get upset and worry, just call and discuss the situation.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • As has been said, Call your Dr now. That was the ones thing they wanted to know about because they would do surgery as soon as possible.

I was told to head to the ER if if ocurred.
  • bcause we all know that going through what we have, there are always lots of things that come up. And we are here to support our members in the progress and sometimes problems of getting well. I would definently call your Dr and if you cant get an answer, call your personal Dr. It is something to be checked on, especially with new pain. Good Luck and please keep us posted.
  • You must let your dr know right away, and if he won't help you or take you seriously, you should go to the ER.

Any problems with your bowels or bladder associated with back pain or sciatica is an emergency. You may be developing Cauda Equina Syndrome.

This can resolve if dealt with soon enough, but if you ignore the symptoms may not resolve.

Good Luck