Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
I've been lurking here for many months, and just finally got the courage to register! I am a 35 year old mom of three. I have had a history of back problems/pain since high school. In 2001, I had a discectomy to repair a bulging L4/L5 that was causing sciatic pain and neurological damage (flopping foot). While the surgery was a success in terms of limiting the neurological damage, I was in excruciating pain as a result. The ortho who did that procedure was "old school"--didn't want to give me anything stronger than Tylenol, tough love, all that crap . Because of the intense pain of recovery and physical therapy, I ended up in a deep depression that took me two years to recover from. Needless to say, I no longer see that doctor. My back pain flared occasionally in the years since, and I had an MRI in May 2007 with a different doctor (spine surgeon) which revealed that I had some minor bulging discs, DDD, but since there was no stenosis I was not a candidate for surgery.

Fast-forward to now. I delivered my third child in June 2008. While my back felt great during pregnancy (thanks to all those hormones, I am sure!), shortly after my c-section delivery, I began experiencing severe muscle spasms and sciatica. In January, I saw the spine surgeon again. He didn't so much as examine me--sat me in a chair and told me that my back hurt b/c of all the lifting I was doing (infant seat, groceries, diaper bag, etc), and that I would always have back pain and sciatica, and there was nothing else he could do for me since I was not a surgical case.

In June, I couldn't take any more pain. I'd been taking iburofen four or five times a day and not getting any relief, so I went to the family doc here in town. They recommended physical therapy, which has helped considerably, but I am still dealing with moderate to severe pain and limited movement. I also began seeing a chiropractor again, and his x-rays didn't show spondo, which the PT feared due to the clicking in my spine when I lay down. I called my doc yesterday to request another MRI, and I was told today that they wouldn't send me for one b/c of the report I got back from the spine doctor in January. I was so angry I hung up on them.

I am so glad there is a place like this, b/c at this point, I am in so much pain and am so bewildered about what to do next that I don't know what to do next. LOL

Sorry this was a book...I'm not normally such a whiner, but at the same time, I am at my wits' end...

Looking forward to getting to know people here!

• I hope you find another family or primary Dr to help with some meds until you see a Pain Management Dr. You usually need a referral from your Dr. I can't imagine the pain you're having without meds. I have the same grinding movement in my spine that showed up as facet joint arthropy although I'm not a Dr and couldn't say it was the same thing though I hear if you have a bulging or herniated disc you may have inflammation in the facet joints and I've had some injections that have helped with that pain. I hope you find a Dr to listen to you. I'm going for my 3rd NeuroSurgeon appt. in October. The Chiropractor I went to wouldn't touch my spine with a bad disc except to use T.E.N.S or massage. I'm having more pain and I have to wait until Oct. to get another MRI after having one in Feb. 2008. Get a Pain Management Dr. that may help. Take care and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • welcome to spine health. i was just going to post similar advice to cherry's. you need more help than youre getting. a good pm dr who can use a blend of treatment appears to be your best bet. here is a link to the blend...
    with all your responsibilities and so much pain i hope you get more relief than youre getting
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. stop by and whine anytime! :D we are here for that too.. =D> i hope you get some ideas to help with your pain. good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • your comments brought tears to my eyes, just knowing that there are people out there who know what this kind of pain and frustration is like.

I saw my PT today, and she told me she also talked to the nurse at the family practice doc's office. This woman was recommending that I get a gastric bypass...she has never even seen me (I've seen the PA at the office several times, but never the managing doc). I couldn't believe it. I am overweight, and would love to exercise, but it's too painful. One half-mile walk keeps me up all night with pain. And what insurance company would approve gastric bypass without other weight loss measures (namely, diet and exercise) being tried by the patient? That suggestion was so grossly inappropriate..."no, you can't have an MRI, but how about totally invasive surgery that may or may not kill you?"

Anyway, the PT agrees with me...it's time to move on from this doc. I scheduled an appt for next Friday with a new ortho (the same practice my mother goes to for her own back problems), so I am trying to stay optimistic. Your kind words help!
  • i like the fact that physical therapy was helping. the therapy plus proper meds will help you improve even more. and then more conditioning may allow some pounds to come off...this could be the start of something good...